Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #1

Share |

keep paint wet

what can i add to paint to keep it form drying for 24 hours

netjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

keep paint wet

Well, it could depend on what type of paint
There are "extenders" to extend the "open time" of many paints
However, for 24 hours I don't know of any regardless of type
Perhaps some industrial coatings manufacturer might have the need/product for that

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:53 PM   #3

keep paint wet

24 hours would be tough, I doubt it is even possible with regular products you might find sitting on the shelf... Also, a lot depends on what you mean by "dry". Ordinary wall paint is dry to the touch in one hour, but cannot be recoated for four hours.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:08 AM   #4

keep paint wet

You could cover it with wax paper or Saran Wrap and remove them after 24 hours.

Anything you do to a latex paint would have to prevent evaporation of both the water and the coalescing solvent during that time. For example, you could add a bunch of glycerine to the paint to extend it's drying time, but that glycerine wouldn't prevent evaporation of the coalescing solvent. The result would be that the water would evaporate from the paint, then the coalescing solvents would evaporate, then the glycerine would finally depart, and what you'd end up with is a powder that was a whitish version of what the paint colour was supposed to be.

About the only way that you can have paint wait 24 hours before drying normally would be to use something like wax paper or Saran Wrap to cover it and keep it a liquid for 24 hours, and then remove that covering.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:35 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

keep paint wet

I guess i will be the smart *SS and ask

Why do you want too??
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:49 AM   #6

keep paint wet

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post

I guess i will be the smart *SS and ask

Why do you want too??
drunk vandals are knocking over my for sale sign in front of my house
was going to spike it with cut off nails but police say thats a crime but paint isn't

so im going to coat them in paint, got some old white paint from a neibour and added veg oil to it makes it last about 3 hours but i want it longer

Last edited by netjunky; 10-10-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

keep paint wet

aaahh
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:25 PM   #8

keep paint wet

Go to any pharmacy and ask for glycerine. You can get 95% pure and 99.5% pure. The 95% is cheaper and good enough for your purposes.

Glycerine will greatly extend the drying time of oil based paint without interfering with film formation. After the glycerine evaporates, the oil based paint will cure normally.

So far as I know, about the only limit on how much glycerine you can add to oil based paint is how much sagging on vertical surfaces you're willing to tolerate.

PS: The liquid in the colourants used to tint paints is glycerine. They use glycerine as the carrier fluid for paint colourants because it's eqully soluble in both water and mineral spirits (aka: paint thinner). So, by using glycerine as the carrier fluid, you can tint both latex and oil based paints with the same colourants on the same tinting machine.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:46 PM   #9

keep paint wet

what if its not oil based paint, will glycerine still work

doesnt matter anyway no pharmacies carry it here

Last edited by netjunky; 10-11-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #10
the Musigician

keep paint wet

perhaps a silicone or waxy base to prevent the paint from soaking in as well? roofing tar might be an option too... i put that in the crotch of a neighbor's tree at her request, and the kids didn't sit THERE any more! how exactly are they destroying it? hitting it? yanking it out?

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:05 PM   #11

keep paint wet

Quote:
Originally Posted by netjunky View Post
what if its not oil based paint, will glycerine still work

doesnt matter anyway no pharmacies carry it here
Glycerine will slow down the drying time of both latex and oil based paints. However, it will interfere with the film formation process in latex paints so that if you add too much glycerine, your paint will dry with a whitish appearance, and won't be as hard and strong as it should be. In a worst case, it will dry to a whitish powder rather that you could brush off your sign with your hand.

With oil based paint, it will thin the paint and make it runny, but the paint will still cure normally once the glycerine finally evaporates (in a few hours or days to a month, depending on the weather) and the alkyd resins are exposed to air.

I'm surprised you can't find glycerine in a pharmacy. People use it on their skin and lips to prevent them from drying out in winter. It is also a very useful thing to have around when assembling machinery, such as appliances, because it acts like a lubricant (like WD40), but it evaporates completely without leaving any residue (unlike WD40). So, you can put it on bearings and such and have confidence that it will all evaporate eventually so that the end result would be the same as if you'd never used it. I use it on the inside of 3 inch paint roller sleeves to make them easier to slip off the roller frame when they're all slimey wet with latex paint. The water I wash the sleeve out with also washes away the glycerine inside the sleeve.

Wal-Mart's pharmacy sells it here, so every Wal-Mart pharmacy should sell it. Maybe ask for "glycerol". An "alcohol" is anything with a hydroxl group group bonded to a carbon atom (C-OH), and glycerine has three of those, so it really should be called "glycerol" cuz it's an alcohol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerol

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 10-11-2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:45 PM   #12

keep paint wet

If you want to paint 'them', then buy only part 'A' epoxy from a paint store, colors of your choice, and paint whatever you want. It'll stay wet quite some time.......and hard to remove too!!!
Quote:
Rixbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:59 AM   #13

keep paint wet

Quote:
drunk vandals are knocking over my for sale sign in front of my house
was going to spike it with cut off nails but police say thats a crime but paint isn't

so im going to coat them in paint, got some old white paint from a neibour and added veg oil to it makes it last about 3 hours but i want it longer
And who ever thought a DIY chatroom couldn't be humorously entertaining Ever think of taking a different route and placing piles of dog feces around the sign. The vandals would think twice before doing it again after they had to clean off their shoes. Perhaps someone adores you and doesn't want you to move away Good luck!
dorothyolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:21 AM   #14

keep paint wet

I like the epoxy idea but I would be concerned about the legal ramifications that could arrise from it being in a publically accessabe area where it could be touched accidently. Especially if the epoxy caused some dermititus condition. Another idea, if it could be followed up is law enforcement has this compound that one can touch and is not noticeable but changes color and causes a stain when in contact with water. Usefull flagging people stealing stuff from unsecured purses. I wonder if a simular compound could be used in your circumstances?
Mike2756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:29 AM   #15

keep paint wet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2756 View Post
I like the epoxy idea but I would be concerned about the legal ramifications that could arrise from it being in a publically accessabe area where it could be touched accidently. Especially if the epoxy caused some dermititus condition. Another idea, if it could be followed up is law enforcement has this compound that one can touch and is not noticeable but changes color and causes a stain when in contact with water. Usefull flagging people stealing stuff from unsecured purses. I wonder if a simular compound could be used in your circumstances?
lip stick

1610 CUB is offline   Reply With Quote