Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2011, 11:40 PM   #1

Share |

Just started my project, any advise would be appreciated.

Hi all,
I started a thread a while ago on how to paint aluminum and now I just start the project. Powerwashed it yesterday really good with TSP. Primed the bared aluminum with sherwin latex primer. The paint I am going to use is Sherwin william duration 100% latex. I am going to spray paint the exterior. My question is how many coat should I use? some people said one, and other said two.

Mr.HVAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:58 AM   #2

MrH, it's my belief that one coat of finish is never sufficient, regardless of the substrate, or the paint, or what the paint company tells you. "One coat" coverage is another marketing ploy to get people who like to cut corners to buy their paint. I've never seen any "one coat" finishes fully develop in sheen, color, or hide after one coat. I've examined enough finish applications to say that with zero doubt. One coat looks "good enough", until you start applying the second coat and see that good enough is really not. Moreover, one coat will not give the protective value that two will. It's always been the rule that bare substrates get three coats, one prime, two finish. That's what I'm sticking too.

Last edited by jsheridan; 10-23-2011 at 04:01 AM.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Doc Holliday (10-24-2011), m1951mm (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

[quote=jsheridan;754538]MrH, it's my belief that one coat of finish is never sufficient, regardless of the substrate, or the paint, or what the paint company tells you. "One coat" coverage is another marketing ploy to get people who like to cut corners to buy their paint. I've never seen any "one coat" finishes fully develop in sheen, color, or hide after one coat. I've examined enough finish applications to say that with zero doubt. One coat looks "good enough", until you start applying the second coat and see that good enough is really not. Moreover, one coat will not give the protective value that two will. It's always been the rule that bare substrates get three coats, one prime, two finish. That's what I'm sticking too.[/quote]

Because ( as you know) it is the only way to paint
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #4

hey guys, thanks for the reply. I just did one coat and it actually looks pretty good. The paint is kinda expensive, so we are going to stick with one coat. Not only that, time is kinda limited to me. What annoying me is when I go outside today, I saw some bugs got stuck on the paint, which is really annoying me. How do you guys go about fixing that? I am going to have to stop my project due to raining on Tuesday and Wednesday. Will it effect my paint? How long does it take for it to dry? It's Sherwin Superpaint 100% latex. The paint probably has about 45 hours to dry before raining. Will that be enought?

Last edited by Mr.HVAC; 10-24-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Mr.HVAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

[quote=Mr.HVAC;755641]hey guys, thanks for the reply. I just did one coat and it actually looks pretty good. The paint is kinda expensive, so we are going to stick with one coat. Not only that, time is kinda limited to me. What annoying me is when I go outside today, I saw some bugs got stuck on the paint, which is really annoying me. How do you guys go about fixing that? I am going to have to stop my project due to raining on Tuesday and Wednesday. Will it effect my paint? How long does it take for it to dry? It's Sherwin Superpaint 100% latex. The paint probably has about 45 hours to dry before raining. Will that be enought?[/quote]

Yes. As to the bugs, pick em off.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote