Just Painted With Permanizer/Manor Hall Timeless - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2016, 01:50 PM   #1
Abw

Rewards Points: 16

Just painted with Permanizer/Manor Hall Timeless

I just had the whole house painted with Porter Permanizer and its look really nice but I did have a question for any pros out there.

The painters mentioned that they liked the paint but that it was too thin for it to be a high quality paint. That surprised me because I had read that this stuff was like liquid caulk..That's one of the reasons I went with it! I choose this over duration because they we both the same "type" of paint and the permanizer sussposedly held color better..The last time we painted the house the painters used 8 gallons of SW Superpaint. This time they used 12 gallons of Permanizer..

Permanizer Thin? What say you?

Advertisement

Abw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:09 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 3,682

Re: Just painted with Permanizer/Manor Hall Timeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abw View Post
I just had the whole house painted with Porter Permanizer and its look really nice but I did have a question for any pros out there.

The painters mentioned that they liked the paint but that it was too thin for it to be a high quality paint. That surprised me because I had read that this stuff was like liquid caulk..That's one of the reasons I went with it! I choose this over duration because they we both the same "type" of paint and the permanizer sussposedly held color better..The last time we painted the house the painters used 8 gallons of SW Superpaint. This time they used 12 gallons of Permanizer..

Permanizer Thin? What say you?
I would question the "painters" before the product

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
klaatu (03-28-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 06:17 PM   #3
Abw

Why? They were great and did an outstanding job.. They have used Duration and said that it was much thicker. I have heard that perminizer was as thick so they're statement took me off guard. I like to try different things so I went all PPG this time and I am happy with the result but it makes me question the PRODUCT, not the painters..
Old 03-26-2016, 06:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,946

The thickness of paint coming out of the can has nothing to do with its quality or lack thereof.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:10 PM   #5
Abw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
The thickness of paint coming out of the can has nothing to do with its quality or lack thereof.
Well, that's good to know..I was worried that maybe the local PPG gave me something different and at these prices who knows..🤔 I only paid labor for the painters so they had no reason to say anything bad about it.. Thanks for the input and I think it looks great. I used Sherwin Williams Superpaint and SW 950A caulk last time(6-7 years in Atlanta) and it was beginning to fail. This time, I went with Porter Permanizer and Top Gun 400.

I am excited to see if it holds up better then the Superpaint that I used 6 years ago.. I know, it's a little silly but I like this kind of stuff.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:59 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 3,682

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abw View Post
Well, that's good to know..I was worried that maybe the local PPG gave me something different and at these prices who knows..�� I only paid labor for the painters so they had no reason to say anything bad about it.. Thanks for the input and I think it looks great. I used Sherwin Williams Superpaint and SW 950A caulk last time(6-7 years in Atlanta) and it was beginning to fail. This time, I went with Porter Permanizer and Top Gun 400.

I am excited to see if it holds up better then the Superpaint that I used 6 years ago.. I know, it's a little silly but I like this kind of stuff.
It will
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
klaatu (03-28-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 08:23 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 4,946

Just as an example........Duration is probably one of the thickest paints around, Cashmere, another SW paint is thinner. The assumption would be that because of its thickness, Duration is better, but I have more trouble with coverage using Duration than I've ever had with Cashmere. In many cases, I have to apply 3 coats with Duration to get proper coverage.
ToolSeeker (03-28-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 09:59 PM   #8
Abw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Just as an example........Duration is probably one of the thickest paints around, Cashmere, another SW paint is thinner. The assumption would be that because of its thickness, Duration is better, but I have more trouble with coverage using Duration than I've ever had with Cashmere. In many cases, I have to apply 3 coats with Duration to get proper coverage.
Well, I am happy with it but I am confused..This Permanizer is supposed to be a high build paint and according to the directions should only cover 250-300 sq per gallon. My house does not have 3600 sq of siding so my painters put on more than required to meet the instructions. My painters used 12 gallons on my siding(5 on trim) And that's more then the last time we painted. Last time, they used 8 gallons(3 on trim) of Superpaint.

So....There IS more paint up there...somewhere, but the paint does not seem as thick as last time and I thought it had to be to thick to offer its unique properties. Everything I heard/read about it said it was thick as caulk. Heck, maybe it's good to go. We used the same painters and that's why I was worried when they said it was thin. Anyway, Here is pic of the finished job and some while they were spraying it on.

https://goo.gl/photos/BJVVdCChwyrHSxQEA

Last edited by Abw; 03-27-2016 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:21 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 5,974

From the pics it looks like the 12 gallon would be a better number than the 8 gallon. Plus was it sprayed the last time or roller and brush. Were these the same painters as the last time. 6to 7 years for Superpaint makes me question the last painters to wether they applied the correct thickness.

But really the whole thing boils down to your statement "I'm happy with it" so sit back and enjoy it. PPG/Porter is good paint I just think the painters were not familiar with it.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:21 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,382

Don't hire those painters again, or at least make sure they aren't high when they paint your house. They are full of it. Having sold and used both Duration and Perminizer I can tell you that there is no noticeable difference in the thickness of them. Unless the painters used them side by side there is absolutely no way they would know that Perminizer was thinner then Duration anyway. They may think they know, but they don't. They are more then likely pissed because they couldn't get their extra mark-up from SW that they get when they use Duration. Simple as that.

But having used Timeless on my own house I can tell you if the prep was done properly it will last as long as any other paint will. I just did some "touch-up" on the south side of my house. It was painted 10 years ago with Timeless and there was no noticeable fade, even on the south side of the house with full sun exposure. It is good stuff, regardless of what your SW worshiping painters think.

Last edited by klaatu; 03-28-2016 at 07:24 AM.
klaatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:43 AM   #11
Abw

Toolseeker....At the end of the day it's just math right? A gallon for every 300sf should do the trick.Im happy..The grand total was 12 gallons on siding, 5 gallons on trim, 1 quart shutters, 1 quart door..

Klaatu..Wow..lol..You're prob right but they are good painters and between pressure washing, caulking, taping, etc spent 5 days working on the house. They made no bones about how they liked SW. They do.. I picked Porter so ee shall see..Its my guess that your right and they don't know the difference because he admitted that they don't use duration often..

Thanks guys!

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Abw For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (03-28-2016)