Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #1

Share |

Joint Compound

I have plaster walls and ceilings!!!! My issue is, my ceiling and walls started cracking, because of a leak in on my roof. The roof is fixed, but now I have to repair the walls and ceiling. I was told to use joint compound instead of spackle. I cut the plaster out and replaced with drywall and applied the compound. For the life of me I could not get it smooth and I don't want to paint over it with it not being smooth. I just taped the entire section and added more compound to it. My question is when I first add a coat of compound, does it have to be very smooth and do I have to cover the tape completely?? I am so lost and getting frustrated and I don't have the $ to pay someone to do the job!! Does anyone have any ideas for me??

Thank you!

shaggy0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #2

Joint Compound

For me, I try to use as little mud as possible when installing drywall. Do the first coat so tape is well embedded and covered with a thin layer of mud. Don't try to get rid of every ridge as you'll likely just make more. When dry, shave any big ridges down with your taping knife (get a 6" and 12" one) and using drywall sandpaper (like window screen with grit) smooth it out. Remove dust and add second layer using your 6 or 12" knife (whichever one works better for you). If need be, add a third layer. Most of this is just practice and doing a ceiling is not easy since it is overhead.
Try watching some of these videos, they may help:
http://www.hometime.com/Hometime_4.0...rPage/0200.php

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:18 PM   #3

Joint Compound

Thank you Bob!!! I should need atleast two coats of the compound right?
Old 01-03-2010, 06:11 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Joint Compound

At least, probably 4
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

Joint Compound

Paper tape is a paintable surface. If a bit of the tape happens to show after final sanding, not a problem...
Old 01-11-2010, 02:49 PM   #6

Joint Compound

I just did a TON of plaster repairing and touch up, and after some plumbing work I have even more to do.

I was told to use mud instead of the pre-mixed compound since it is supposedly stronger and less prone to cracking. I'm no pro, but from my experience in patching over the last few months is that the powder mixed mud turns rock solid where the pre-mixed compound in the bucket easily cracks and dents if touched.

If you are fixing full pieces of plaster where you've cut it out and have replaced that patch with a piece of drywall than the pre-mixed stuff is ideal. If you are scraping and filling in cracks and small holes the powder mud you have to mix manually is the way to go.
HandyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #7
Drywall contractor

Joint Compound

Ideally a setting type compound would have been used on AT LEAST the first coat (and I'd recommend for the first 2 coats on plaster repairs). Since the O.P. was already past that phase, kind of a moot point....
Old 01-11-2010, 09:58 PM   #8

Thumbs up

Joint Compound

I want to thank everyone for your input on this problem I had. I am officially finished with the job and I have to say for me being a Chef, I don't think it came out that bad! I had to put a total of 4 coats of compound with tape. My wife is happy with it, so now I can sleep again!!! haha! Thank you again!
Old 01-12-2010, 02:55 AM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Joint Compound

For large plaster repairs I still use plaster, not compound. Compound and plaster have different contraction and expansion properties and respond to temp and humidity differently.

Compound is alright for cracks and things though. I think the stuff hideous for regular taping but the mesh tape was meant for cracks on existing walls and ceilings. Still need two coats of compound over it.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote