Issues Using Floetrol - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2014, 08:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Issues using Floetrol

Help please! I added approximately (I eyeballed it) 8oz of new Floetrol to a new gallon of semi-gloss white paint (Olympic Icon if it matters). Mixed it as best I could with a paint stick and started painting it on my primed trim. It painted horribly - would spread and create unpainted blotches in the middle of my strokes. I had to quit 5 minutes in because it wasn't covering anything.

Wondering if this was a problem with my paint, with too much Floetrol, or what. I bought another gallon of the same paint, and am considering adding it to the previous gallon to mix to try to salvage, but I don't want to ruin both gallons.

Or, is something wrong with my paint that I should take it back?

Thanks for any help.

Advertisement

Last edited by gem4544; 05-30-2014 at 08:30 AM.
gem4544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,256

Issues using Floetrol

Why do you think you need to add anything to the paint. Tried it without adding anything to it? Nothing wrong with it, just may not be needed.
When stirring I've been using one of these.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=7
Amazing the difference over using a stick. Looks like a cyclone inside the can.
Got stuck having use 2 year old paint that was like mud on the bottom of the can where the solids had settled on the bottom and within 2 min. it was all consistent and went on perfect.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:05 AM   #3
Rob

Rewards Points: 768

Issues using Floetrol

Did you shake before adding? I would try a small amount of the new paint with a small amount of the paint with the Flotrol (50%-50%)and test it. It might not be compatible with your paint.
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:13 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 502

Issues using Floetrol

Some of the newer low voc paint formulations are not compatible with floetrol. Can't say for sure that's what the problem is in this case, but its possible.
Call the company and ask.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Issues using Floetrol

Thank you, I'll do that.
gem4544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 374

Issues using Floetrol

If you are diluting latex paint to extend the dry time, it is best to use a small amount of water, which is the solvent in these products.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:56 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 4,408

Issues using Floetrol

I have used flotrol and bim extender for years but as Jmay says you have to be careful with the new paints READ THE CAN. I do not care for the paint you bought I just used some not very long ago (homeowner purchased) but I didn't have the kind of problems your having. It really sounds like it wasn't stirred too well, hard to do with a stick. And what did you mix it in there isn't enough room in the can to add 8oz. Could there have been something in the container.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:20 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,564

Issues using Floetrol

ICON is garbage. That's where the problem lies. I used some to cover white on white & it took THREE coats. Never again.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (05-30-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,824

Issues using Floetrol

besides being crappy paint, I can see no reason at all for adding floetrol to it, especially 8 oz, how did you manage to even get that much in the can without taking paint out?, It was also just not mixed well. water would have done just as well, but even that is very rarely needed
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
ltd (05-30-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 07:08 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 4,408

Issues using Floetrol

Flotrol is not just used to thin paint but in less than top lines of paint it also helps to level and eliminate brush strokes. But in this case I really feel it's the paint.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:30 PM   #11
(the original)

Rewards Points: 756

Issues using Floetrol

Not just the crappy cheap paint....serious operator error as well. Only took a few seconds to look up the TDS and see it says "may be thinned with up to 1/4 pint of WATER per gallon of paint". That's 4oz, so +1 on the question "How did you manage to put 8oz of Floetrol in the can?" Take it back? Good luck with that if you're honest about what you did to it. Bite the bullet and go buy some decent paint.
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ratherbefishin' For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-30-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 07:51 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 502

Issues using Floetrol

Well, 8oz is a guideline given in the floetrol specs. It's excessive, but some people like it. I'm betting its either something weird happened like a phantom contaminate, or its just not compatible with it.

I didn't think the Icon was that bad. Used it in a commercial hallway. It did fine with a slight color change on the walls. Had to double up some of the trim though, the semi-gloss was not great. Seemed like an OK cheap paint to me. Definitely an improvement over there cheaper paint

I never liked floetrol, but I think it does have a slightly different effect than water.
Attached Thumbnails
Issues using Floetrol-image-349521699.jpg  
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
ratherbefishin' (05-30-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 08:59 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,750

Issues using Floetrol

Theoretically floetrol does not THIN paint, it CONDITIONS it essentially making a latex ain't flow like oil. That said, and regardless of what the directions on the can say, if I NEEDED additional en time or better leveling, I would start with a COUPLE of ounces mixed in and then move up from there ASSUMING that the paint is compatible. Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:25 PM   #14
(the original)

Rewards Points: 756

Issues using Floetrol

I agree, Jmays, but in this case I think the paint spec overrides the Floetrol spec. Maybe the paint manufacturers should provide info that's a little more user friendly to their target market. I haven't used Floetrol in a long time, and then only in high gloss trim paint where I did appreciate the open time and leveling it provided, so not a whole lot of experience with the product. I've rarely ever seen a need to thin a paint, but then BM Regal is my "go to" in most cases.
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:48 PM   #15
ltd

Rewards Points: 522

Issues using Floetrol

When I have used floetrol ,and that was a long time ago.I would just put a splash of it in cutting bucket. Now im older and wiser ,well older anyways.i just put a splash of water in cutting bucket ,that is if I need it.If I did need a extender I would use xim latex extender. Its far better than floetrol imho

Advertisement

Last edited by ltd; 05-30-2014 at 09:50 PM.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
chrisn (05-31-2014), Gymschu (05-31-2014)