Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #16
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Share |
Default

Issues with Paint Sample color and Gallon Color - need advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 VII 7 View Post
I came in with the TradeWind sample quart saying this is what I want (gave to him) and we decided not to go with Tidewater.
I guess what I am saying is only talking about what you wanted, and not what you didn't want, might have saved some confusion. If Tidewater was irrelevant, why even bring it up?

I've seen ladies (especially) standing at paint counters with oodles of paint chips in one hand and little rat dogs in the other rattling on about paint chip names and expecting the poor soul behind the counter to sort out what they want to the point all he/she wants is one through the head. At the end of it all, only one chip name and number is relevant. Why not just focus on that?

Not saying it was your fault in any way though. The paint store clearly goofed. Cricumstances snowballed.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 83
Default

Issues with Paint Sample color and Gallon Color - need advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I guess what I am saying is only talking about what you wanted, and not what you didn't want, might have saved some confusion. If Tidewater was irrelevant, why even bring it up?

I've seen ladies (especially) standing at paint counters with oodles of paint chips in one hand and little rat dogs in the other rattling on about paint chip names and expecting the poor soul behind the counter to sort out what they want to the point all he/she wants is one through the head. At the end of it all, only one chip name and number is relevant. Why not just focus on that?

Not saying it was your fault in any way though. The paint store clearly goofed. Cricumstances snowballed.
I agree, maybe I was just rambling since I got 3 hours of sleep the night before with our new kid. That is why I bought in the sample quart to hand him and show him what we wanted. The other quart sample (we picked two colors) I handed him was fine and matched great.
7 VII 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North Texas
Posts: 173
Default

Issues with Paint Sample color and Gallon Color - need advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Unfortunately, no paintstore is going to pay for the labor to redo the paintjob.........just ain't gonna happen. Really, the best they can do is what they are doing........mix you some paint in the RIGHT color & not charge you for it.
Our homebuilder had their painters use "Great Southwest" brand paint. The painters didn't prime over the slighly textured sheetrock and being the paint was so thin our walls and ceilings were almost semi-transparent. After complaining the interior was sprayed again. This time we had an effect calling ghosting. When we had the homebuilder come to see for themselves we were told "Just don't look at the ceilings or walls in bright light.". This infuriated me so I took matters into my own hands. It did not take long to discover that "Great Southwest" was wholly owned by Sherwin Williams. Long story short I called Sherwin Williams corporation and was soon contacted in person by a SW Regional Representative. The SW Rep promised to solve the problem once and for all. SW made the builder provide their painters and SW provided their then best quality interior paint. When the SW Rep told the painters they would roll and brush instead of spraying the painters stated they did not know how to paint that way. The SW Rep called their bluff so the painters acknowledged they had lied. It took the painters 16 straight hours to repaint the interior of our two story home. The SW Rep was there with them throughout. So you see when the customer doesn't give in to pressure situations can be put right.

Last edited by sore thumb; 05-02-2013 at 12:41 AM.
sore thumb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sore thumb For This Useful Post:
7 VII 7 (05-02-2013)
Old 05-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: outside ocala fl
Posts: 3,442
Default

Issues with Paint Sample color and Gallon Color - need advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by sore thumb View Post
Our homebuilder had their painters use "Great Southwest" brand paint. The painters didn't prime over the slighly textured sheetrock and being the paint was so thin our walls and ceilings were almost semi-transparent. After complaining the interior was sprayed again. This time we had an effect calling ghosting. When we had the homebuilder come to see for themselves we were told "Just don't look at the ceilings or walls in bright light.". This infuriated me so I took matters into my own hands. It did not take long to discover that "Great Southwest" was wholly owned by Sherwin Williams. Long story short I called Sherwin Williams corporation and was soon contacted in person by a SW Regional Representative. The SW Rep promised to solve the problem once and for all. SW made the builder provide their painters and SW provided their then best quality interior paint. When the SW Rep told the painters they would roll and brush instead of spraying the painters stated they did not know how to paint that way. The SW Rep called their bluff so the painters acknowledged they had lied. It took the painters 16 straight hours to repaint the interior of our two story home. The SW Rep was there with them throughout. So you see when the customer doesn't give in to pressure situations can be put right.
To all the people out there who get tired of us preaching about real paint stores please read this and try to imagine the same thing happening with a big box store. To the poster I'm sorry this happen to you but thank you so much for posting your story. I think is a great story about a big company that cares about their customers and their name. After reading this it kinda makes sense to spend a few bucks more to get not only good paint but good service. And this is not only SW but Ben Moore and the other large paint co.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
sore thumb (05-02-2013)
Old 05-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 83
Default

Issues with Paint Sample color and Gallon Color - need advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
To all the people out there who get tired of us preaching about real paint stores please read this and try to imagine the same thing happening with a big box store. To the poster I'm sorry this happen to you but thank you so much for posting your story. I think is a great story about a big company that cares about their customers and their name. After reading this it kinda makes sense to spend a few bucks more to get not only good paint but good service. And this is not only SW but Ben Moore and the other large paint co.
Got a call from SW this morning. They offered $250 for labor (they already gave me the paint) to get the two rooms painted. I said I am not sure that will cover the cost of the labor. They said that is fine and for me to get an estimate/invoice and send it their way and they will help out. I am really surprised and pleased I dont have to pay for it or all of it.
7 VII 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7 VII 7 For This Useful Post:
sore thumb (05-02-2013), ToolSeeker (05-03-2013)
Old 05-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #21
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

Issues with Paint Sample color and Gallon Color - need advice


It is the way customer service should be and costs them little to probably gain you as a long time customer and have you relate the overall experience, in spite of the temporary anguish, favorably to others. It would have cost them much more to have you disgruntled.

I am pleased it worked out for you. I hope your painters are not so busy they cannot get to the job. Good painters around here seem to be booked through the summer and into the fall in most cases. And with more interior work than is usual for this time of year.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
sore thumb (05-02-2013)
Old 05-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 83
Default

Issues with Paint Sample color and Gallon Color - need advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
It is the way customer service should be and costs them little to probably gain you as a long time customer and have you relate the overall experience, in spite of the temporary anguish, favorably to others. It would have cost them much more to have you disgruntled.

I am pleased it worked out for you. I hope your painters are not so busy they cannot get to the job. Good painters around here seem to be booked through the summer and into the fall in most cases. And with more interior work than is usual for this time of year.
I agree. We are going to get the ext of our house painted next year and Sherwin-Williams was an option next to Ben Moore. I hope painters can come out soon otherwise we will have our furniture in other rooms for the next couple weeks.
7 VII 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 7 VII 7 For This Useful Post:
sore thumb (05-02-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 83
Default

Issues with Paint Sample color and Gallon Color - need advice


Just a follow up. Painters are here now painting with the correct paint from Sherwin Williams. I was at the store yesterday signing the customer agreement for the $400 check they will be sending me.

So far so good, the paint looks SOOO much better and I am home today to see it. I am so glad this worked out!

Thank you everyone for the help!

7 VII 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7 VII 7 For This Useful Post:
sore thumb (05-07-2013), ToolSeeker (05-07-2013)
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.