Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #1

Share |

Issues with Paint Sample color and Gallon Color - need advice

My wife and I are getting two rooms painted a color called "Tidewater" from Sherwin-Williams Link. We liked it because out of the 10 samples we looked at this was not super bright and still had some blue green to it.

I went into Sherwin Williams and gave them the quart paint sample we bought from them earlier and said "Can we get 3 gallon of this Tidewater color". We had painters coming Monday morning and this was Sunday afternoon.

Well I got the paint and said in the store that it looked more green than the sample and they said it will go darker after it dries. They are the experts. So i got the paint home and the next day the painters painted the two rooms and I said it was light to them and they also said it will go darker when it dries. Well here we are Tuesday morning, it is dry and it is way lighter and greener than we wanted and what the sample looked like on the wall. I painted the sample 4'x4' to get a good idea.

It looks more like this color on the walls. Link. I am not happy and HATE the color.

What are my options, we spent $500 for these guys to do the work and the color does not look like the sample of Tidewater that we wanted. I am very frustrated.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Should say that we got the Super Paint in Eggshell Satin Extra White and the sample was also Eggshell Satin in the extra white base.

Last edited by 7 VII 7; 04-30-2013 at 08:30 AM. Reason: added details of paint.
7 VII 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 VII 7 View Post
My wife and I are getting two rooms painted a color called "Tidewater" from Sherwin-Williams Link. We liked it because out of the 10 samples we looked at this was not super bright and still had some blue green to it.

I went into Sherwin Williams and gave them the quart paint sample we bought from them earlier and said "Can we get 3 gallon of this Tidewater color". We had painters coming Monday morning and this was Sunday afternoon.

Well I got the paint and said in the store that it looked more green than the sample and they said it will go darker after it dries. They are the experts. So i got the paint home and the next day the painters painted the two rooms and I said it was light to them and they also said it will go darker when it dries. Well here we are Tuesday morning, it is dry and it is way lighter and greener than we wanted and what the sample looked like on the wall. I painted the sample 4'x4' to get a good idea.

It looks more like this color on the walls. Link. I am not happy and HATE the color.

What are my options, we spent $500 for these guys to do the work and the color does not look like the sample of Tidewater that we wanted. I am very frustrated.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Should say that we got the Super Paint in Eggshell Satin Extra White and the sample was also Eggshell Satin in the extra white base.
Hiya 7s...

Nobody likes to hear this after a problem has come up, but you should've had SW dry a sample against your chosen color chip at the time of purchase - especially since you had mentioned it didn't look right. The SW guy was either trying to send you on your way, or doesn't know his product very well if he's telling you "...it'll go darker after it dries.."

The painters simply applied what you gave them. If there was an issue with the color, you/they should've stopped the painting until the color issue was resolved. While I don't agree with what the painter told you, painters typically work a reasonably tight schedule - if during the application, of a product/color they did not provide, having them stop painting until such time that you get this issue resolved means a loss of productivity to them resulting in increased expenses - or lost wages and possibly scheduling conflicts for your, and subsequent, projects. How do they make up those expenses or losses?

Not to defend or blame the painters - and not yet so quick to blame the SW guys...unless you work with color everyday, it is really difficult to imagine color on a whole scale basis from a tiny paint sample. Painting a square on the wall does provide a better appreciation of that particular color's attributes, but is still not wholly affected or influenced by all the surrounding environment. In other words, some of what you may have had in mind, was not possible to achieve with the color you chose....possibly.

If that's not the case, there's a pretty easy fix to this dilemma. Take a finger sample of the product you bought and dry it against the actual color chip you chose. If it matches the chip, I'm afraid you may not have had a realistic expectation of that color on a larger basis. If it doesn't match the chip, the SW guys may have a little explaining to do, and to some degree, be held responsible for the mess they participated in (responsible to the extent of replacing product)...Unfortunately, I think you'd kinda be on your own for the labor expenses of the painters.

There's so much confusion about whether paint dries lighter or darker - versus that of whether a color appears lighter or darker after it dries...and there is no such physical or scientific law that makes any type of allowance for such color anomalies. A very general rule of thumb is light colors may appear lighter than expected, and dark colors may appear a little more intense than expected - but so much depends on the amount of lighting and the surrounding environment in a room.

Here's how latex paint actually dries...Paint chips are representations of color and not actual paint, therefore there may always be a slight variance of color from the chip to actual paint - very slight. Quality paints (and I'll throw Super Paint in that category) dry down to the color. In other words, they may appear slightly lighter in color then dry down a shade or so. Usually the amount they change from wet to dry is relatively insignificant. Lower quality paints dry up to the color - again in other words, they go on a little to a lot darker (depending on how low of a quality we're talking here), then dry up several shades to kind of match the color chosen.

With the 2 illustrations given above, the point is it doesn't matter how the paint dries - it'll either dry up or down to the color (within the allowable slight variance), or it's mixed wrong - plain and simple. If that's the case, the fault lies with SW and not the painters - and as mentioned before, they should make good on the paint purchased. Good luck.

Last edited by ric knows paint; 04-30-2013 at 09:40 AM.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #3

I know the painters are not to blame, they just got the product and painted.

I am going to SW later today. I already talked with a manager and he seemed concerned and said to bring in the sample we liked and then one of the three gallons we purchased. He was goign to discuss options.

What sucks is I think they will only work with me on teh gallons I bought, I might be crud out of luck when it comes to the labor, which I hope is not the case.

I will get them to dry a sample of the gallon paint on a chip.

I will keep everyone informed.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Anxious to see what they say but a couple things in your post caught my attention.

1. You said you had them mix a quart and you brought it in to be sure they matched it and not just to the paint chip? Seems it will be hard for them to suggest they did not goof if this is the case.

2. Did they mix the color you do not like in a factory white and not a tint base? That could easily be the source of your troubles and what is causing the difference in color.

Hopefully the painters can help you out a bit with the labor although they really are not to blame in this.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Anxious to see what they say but a couple things in your post caught my attention.

1. You said you had them mix a quart and you brought it in to be sure they matched it and not just to the paint chip? Seems it will be hard for them to suggest they did not goof if this is the case.

2. Did they mix the color you do not like in a factory white and not a tint base? That could easily be the source of your troubles and what is causing the difference in color.

Hopefully the painters can help you out a bit with the labor although they really are not to blame in this.
So I just got back. I came in a talked with the manager and the other associate there was one of the ladies that was there when I got the painted tinted. I brought in the quart sample and then the gallon and said something does not match up. He looks at both of them and says.. "Well, the quart you have is TradeWind and the gallon is Tidewater"... I said how did that happen. And he asked me what I bought in for the guy to match and I said this quart of Tradewind. He then sighed and said. We matched the wrong color for you. I got extremely frustrated, not with him just the situation. He said we can give you a free gallon and I said, the issue is that its 3 gallons and I spend a lot of money for someone to paint it on my walls which is already done.

He sighed again and said that they messed up. He asked why I did not notice it soon and and I said I did when I got the paint and the young lady said she remembered me asking about why the numbers and color was different.

Well long story short (too late) they have me 3 gallons in the correct color and sample that I bought in and called their regional manager to get back to me about getting someone to come out and do the labor. I am not sure if they will do that but man I am frustrated. I really dont want to shell out $500 to get that done again. I hope they come through since they knew and admitted it was their fault.

I think some of the confusion also came when I came in and told the guy when tinting the paint that we decided NOT to go with Tidewater and maybe he heard that, but the fact of the matter is I bought in the sample quart that we wanted and he read it and looked at it and he did not match it.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #6

but in your first post you said you wanted TideWater so I'm confused.
bova80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bova80 View Post
but in your first post you said you wanted TideWater so I'm confused.
When we did the samples on our walls we liked Tidewater but then when we found TradesWind we liked that better. So that is what i said to him when we got the paint tinted. I realized before after I just got back from the SW that we liked the wrong color. The only thing that saved us is the fact that I bought in the sample of TradeWind and not Tidewater.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #8

I am truly sorry this happened to you and I understand your frustration. But I must say I am impressed and happy to hear your store is at least working with you to help resolve the matter. This is one of the reasons we preach to people to go to the real paint stores. I mean it's a fact of life "mistakes happen" and that is not a sin. It is when you don't do anything about it. I feel this people are trying to help you and I know you don't want to hear it but I think you are already some what ahead of what you would be if you were dealing with a big box store. And please let us know the final out come.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-01-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
I am truly sorry this happened to you and I understand your frustration. But I must say I am impressed and happy to hear your store is at least working with you to help resolve the matter. This is one of the reasons we preach to people to go to the real paint stores. I mean it's a fact of life "mistakes happen" and that is not a sin. It is when you don't do anything about it. I feel this people are trying to help you and I know you don't want to hear it but I think you are already some what ahead of what you would be if you were dealing with a big box store. And please let us know the final out come.
They were really cool. The young lady that was working when I got the pain toned and then today said she was surprised how cool I was acting and I told her that I got my yelling out on the painters the day before (unrelated to paint color and a whole different story about the painters).

I really hope they pay to or help to get the rooms painted with the new paint. I would do it but I have a infant and work full time and I am in school part time.

I will keep everyone updated.
The Following User Says Thank You to 7 VII 7 For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (04-30-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 03:07 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter

good luck, you will need it.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:35 AM   #11

Unfortunately, no paintstore is going to pay for the labor to redo the paintjob.........just ain't gonna happen. Really, the best they can do is what they are doing........mix you some paint in the RIGHT color & not charge you for it.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 VII 7 View Post
He sighed again and said that they messed up. He asked why I did not notice it soon and and I said I did when I got the paint and the young lady said she remembered me asking about why the numbers and color was different.
This point right here is the only thing needed out of all this page of text. This is the smoking gun. They screwed up, yes, but you caught it before the paint was applied, before you even left the store. It doesn't take an expert to to realize different numbers and color, don't sell yourself short. You should have been more forceful in getting an answer. If you can't be a pr!ck when you need to be, you're going to have trouble. You're too nice.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
This point right here is the only thing needed out of all this page of text. This is the smoking gun. They screwed up, yes, but you caught it before the paint was applied, before you even left the store. It doesn't take an expert to to realize different numbers and color, don't sell yourself short. You should have been more forceful in getting an answer. If you can't be a pr!ck when you need to be, you're going to have trouble. You're too nice.
Well I asked about the different numbers and color and he said that is what happens when you go from a quart to a gallon. I am not a painter, I am not an expert so I have to take his word for it right? I made it a point to give him the quart sample and he had it and read it right in front of the computer as he was entering things in. The young lady was also there watching and working with him and me on it. I am not going to tell a guy who works at a paint store that deals with this stuff everyday that he is wrong.

What also helps is that the young lady confirmed everything with the manager.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #14
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Look. Lots went wrong here and the good news seems to be that all are trying to accept at least some degree of culpability in it all.

There is no doubt the paint store mixed the wrong color and they have stepped up to the plate and fixed the error with new paint, or at least they will when they kick in the additional two gallons. But, I must admit the more this story unfolded the more confused I got about what color was what and what the guy behind the counter thought he was being asked to mix.

I understand the OP is not a paint pro also and cut him some slack in wanting to believe those who told him the paint would dry darker. Paint usually does dry a bit darker than what it looks like wet or on a tiny 1x1 or 2x2 chip---I always told people to plan on the room looking more like the next darker choice on the fan card. But the painters, if handed chips or samples from the painted quart should have noticed after the first gallon dried something was wrong? I understand many do not want to take any responsibility for what color they paint but come on, if you notice something wacked you have an obligation to step in and say so. Perhaps in this case they were looking at the paint on the wall against the original chip and not the original quart though. They too may have been confused. I was not there so can only guess what was going on.

And finally, the OP obviously saw the paint was in fact not drying as "darker" as he expected. Even if it was exactly what he ordered but not what he wanted he should have brought a screaching halt to the work after the first half gallon got applied and not after three! Room hues can have hue memory that makes it difficult to judge a new color in a room but this usually does not apply to the value of the color in a room---its tint or shade of the hue.

Hopefully this works out for everybody as it should with but reasonable resentment. We all hate stories like this. They are not typical though and again, some communication and assertiveness could have fixed this before it raged out of control. I guess that is the lesson for others in this.

And when having the store mix the paint? Just circle the only chip that matters or bring in the only sample you want matched. Throw the extras away as you do not need them anymore and in this case the seem to have led to an honest mistake that just rippled to far into the painting process.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Look. Lots went wrong here and the good news seems to be that all are trying to accept at least some degree of culpability in it all.

There is no doubt the paint store mixed the wrong color and they have stepped up to the plate and fixed the error with new paint, or at least they will when they kick in the additional two gallons. But, I must admit the more this story unfolded the more confused I got about what color was what and what the guy behind the counter thought he was being asked to mix.

I understand the OP is not a paint pro also and cut him some slack in wanting to believe those who told him the paint would dry darker. Paint usually does dry a bit darker than what it looks like wet or on a tiny 1x1 or 2x2 chip---I always told people to plan on the room looking more like the next darker choice on the fan card. But the painters, if handed chips or samples from the painted quart should have noticed after the first gallon dried something was wrong? I understand many do not want to take any responsibility for what color they paint but come on, if you notice something wacked you have an obligation to step in and say so. Perhaps in this case they were looking at the paint on the wall against the original chip and not the original quart though. They too may have been confused. I was not there so can only guess what was going on.

And finally, the OP obviously saw the paint was in fact not drying as "darker" as he expected. Even if it was exactly what he ordered but not what he wanted he should have brought a screaching halt to the work after the first half gallon got applied and not after three! Room hues can have hue memory that makes it difficult to judge a new color in a room but this usually does not apply to the value of the color in a room---its tint or shade of the hue.

Hopefully this works out for everybody as it should with but reasonable resentment. We all hate stories like this. They are not typical though and again, some communication and assertiveness could have fixed this before it raged out of control. I guess that is the lesson for others in this.

And when having the store mix the paint? Just circle the only chip that matters or bring in the only sample you want matched. Throw the extras away as you do not need them anymore and in this case the seem to have led to an honest mistake that just rippled to far into the painting process.
I will make it less confusing. We got a lot of samples from the store. One of them was Tidewater and one was TradeWind. I came in with the TradeWind sample quart saying this is what I want (gave to him) and we decided not to go with Tidewater.

The painters painted the gallons that I gave them. I was working and was not there for the start of the painting just the end. I trusted the guys there were experts and doing the work. If I painted it myself it would have been brought to a halt. Live and learn