Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Interior spray painting

I have never used spray equipment to paint the inside of a house. Every time I think about doing it, I don't understand how you keep from creating a cloud of paint flying all over the place. I see that they use those electric sprayer setups. I don't know how you control them.

I've spray painted automotive parts & farm tractors & machinery in my garage using compressed air system & high quality HVLP spray gun. But Im cluless on what I need or how to prep the inside of a house for spraying.

And finally, is there any real benefit to spraying over bursh & roller. I'm so tempted to get modern here & spray, but is it worth it. I know it will go faster, but then I need to spend the time in masking off surfaces & making sure everything not getting sprayed is covered? Sounds like a lot more work to spray. Would appreciate any advice you might have on the subject. Thanks!

maddog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,144

Interior spray painting

And you would be right.
Unless this is new construction and the house is empty it's just not worth the extra time.
The masking, time to close off the room, mixing, cleaning up the equipment when done is wasted time that could be better spent painting with a brush and a roller.

maddog1 (07-27-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,296

Interior spray painting

Airless sprayers are usually more powerful and can create clouds of paint. Wagner style HVLP sprayers are usually more manageable. It really depends on how much you're painting and other things, as to whether it would be worth your time masking and cleaning up.
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
maddog1 (07-27-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,068

Interior spray painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog1 View Post
I have never used spray equipment to paint the inside of a house. Every time I think about doing it, I don't understand how you keep from creating a cloud of paint flying all over the place. I see that they use those electric sprayer setups. I don't know how you control them.

I've spray painted automotive parts & farm tractors & machinery in my garage using compressed air system & high quality HVLP spray gun. But Im cluless on what I need or how to prep the inside of a house for spraying.

And finally, is there any real benefit to spraying over bursh & roller. I'm so tempted to get modern here & spray, but is it worth it. I know it will go faster, but then I need to spend the time in masking off surfaces & making sure everything not getting sprayed is covered? Sounds like a lot more work to spray. Would appreciate any advice you might have on the subject. Thanks!
I've used an airless sprayer to paint exposed floor joists on several occasions. It's a huge pain in the butt, and I'd NEVER recommend doing it for a surface that could be rolled.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:49 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,104

Interior spray painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog1 View Post

and you would be right
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (07-27-2013)