Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2009, 03:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Interior Repaint...

Will be repainting the total interior of a house we just purchased. Most of the house has the original flat latex paint on the walls(8 years) and then some of the rooms have been repainted by the previous homeowner in various semi-gloss colors. Here are a few basic questions I have about this project:

What primer is best to use on these walls and will I need to prime all walls in the home or just those that were painted semi-gloss?

Should I spray the walls first or the trim first?

What is best to add in latex paint to get good spray coverage like floetrol?

I would like to use SW Southwest Builders eggshell on all of the interior walls except for bathrooms where I will use semigloss....thoughts?

flashovertx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Interior Repaint...

I would use the Sherwin Williams super bonding latex primer unless the house has had heavy smokers, then use the stain blocking alkyd. Some on this site seem to like the Zinsser products. I don't use them so I don't know. I have been asked to use Kilz a time or two and do not like it.

You do not have to prime the flat walls so long as there are no adhesion issues, there is latex on there now, they are clean, and you are not trying to cover dark colors. If you degloss the semi walls you might get by without a primer there too but I personally would prime first if budget allows. If covering or adding dark colors you will want to consider a primer tinted to 60 percent of your paint color formula. Plan on two finish coats whether primed or not.

If you are spraying I would do the ceilings and walls first, then mask them off and spray the trim. Otherwise you will have to spend a lot of time masking off the newly painted trim very carefully. If you decide to do brush and roller I would paint the trim first and cut in the walls and ceiling up to the trim. I find this makes it easier to get a nice edge.

I like Floetrol and use a lot of it---mainly to get rid of brush strokes but it is great for get paint to spray nicely too. You don't want to thin the paint with water if you can help it.

Eggshell sounds alright for the walls. Just remember the higher the sheen the more any defects and surface flaws are going to show. I would use semi for the bathrooms and maybe the kitchen. I wasn't sure what you had in mind for the trim but I would consider semi.

Aim for as close to 100 percent acrylic in the paint as you can afford if this is to be your residence. The SW contractor grade is good though but is an acrylic/vinyl mix. It will not have quite the colorfastness and washability. If this is a rental you will paint, not wash, walls between tenants anyhow.

If you are renting spray equipment, make sure to get the correct spray tips, etc.

Last edited by user1007; 10-07-2009 at 04:53 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #3

Interior Repaint...

Great advice thanks...
What spray tip sizes would you recommend?
Also how can I mask the walls to spray trim without taping and peeling off fresh paint? thanks
What is recommended to clean the walls with that have the original latex from 8 years ago?

Last edited by flashovertx; 10-07-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Interior Repaint...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashovertx View Post
Great advice thanks...
What spray tip sizes would you recommend?
Also how can I mask the walls to spray trim without taping and peeling off fresh paint? thanks
What is recommended to clean the walls with that have the original latex from 8 years ago?
Just use a low tack tape for your masking and you should be fine. I would stick with Scotch brand products.

Ask the place where you rent the equipment for the proper tips to match the equipment they rent you for applying the eggshell and semi.

Good old TSP or its modern equivalents still work as well as anything for cleaning walls. I have had some luck with Purple Power from the auto parts store to get off years of nicotine and tar stains from heavy smoking houses (but usually have to prime it with alkyd). Mineral spirits come in handy but are not practical for whole wall surfaces.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,058

Interior Repaint...

You do not need to prime semi-gloss walls unless they are oil. Latex will stick to latex all day long.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:13 PM   #6
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 530

Interior Repaint...

You don't need to prime the semi-gloss walls if using a good acrylic, unless your doing a drastic color change. Then you should get a primer tinted to your top coat color. Clean all the walls well wit tsp. Repair any cracks, holes, etc. Prime any repairs. Sand the semi-gloss walls before painting with 120grit sanding screen. If your spraying the whole interior, spray your ceilings first, then your trim with a fine finish tip, then spray your walls, but if you do that it will be very time consuming. To mask off the trim after sprayed use a 3m hand masker with 3-6 inch wide paper depending on the with of the trim. If your spraying the walls you'll also have to plastic off the ceiling after its painted and if you don't want spray on your floors you'll have to mask them off well with rosin paper. When spraying your walls and ceilings you can use a 517 or 519 tip. That size tip will give you a ten inch fan pattern when holding the gun 10-12 inches from the surface. Personally I would just paint everything with a roller and a brush, its way to time consumeing to mask everything off when spraying an interior unless its new construction with only a sub floor. If you paint with a roller and brush the most efficent way will be to paint your ceilings first, paint one coat onto all of your trim, then paint one coat onto the walls, then put the final coat on the trim, then the final coat onto the walls, that will eliminate you from having to cut the trim and walls perfect for both coats.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:02 AM   #7

Interior Repaint...

Thanks for all the great advice...
A couple of other questions..
How do I know if the paint on the walls and trim is latex or oil?
I've seen a trend lately in painting the walls and ceilings the same nuetral color... I'm thinking of going this route.. Thoughts?