Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #1

Share |

Interior Painting

I need to repaint the inside of my house. I have 3 adults, 2 girls and a dog in a 3000sf home. The builder used flat interior paint originally. I am either going with the flat or maybe a satin (I need something I can wash). Semi gloss on interior walls is hard on the eyes. I am going to buy a paint sprayer as the rental cost is about 70-100 dollars a day. I spend a little extra now and I can use it in the future.

I have been looking at the Graco X5 and the Titan advantage 100. They look identical except for colors. Probably made by same company LOL. Anyways does anyone know if one is better than the other? They cost the same.

Also, what tip should I use to spray interior latex paint? Final question is, I read somehwere that you need to go back over the sprayed area with a roller? Is this true?

Thanks

traumabrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #2

Interior Painting

I have used both Graco and Titan and I feel either one is more than capable of doing what you want. Since you are going to be doing inter. I would opt for a small tip that should cut down on your overspray some. Since you are investing in a sprayer I would also look into whats called a hand masker because of the overspray inside you are going to have a LOT of masking to do. I got mine at a sherwin williams store and it has cut my masking time in half. And if you go on Youtube there are some very good videos on spraying interiors. Good luck.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #3

Interior Painting

No way would I ever attempt to spray paint the inside of an occupyed house.
If you incude all the time to do all the masking and time for set up and cleaning of the sprayer you could have painted a couple of walls with a roller.
Plus the air quality in the house would drive everyone out of the house.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

Interior Painting

I also would not spray. Looks like quick and easy, but you can f up lots of stuff in seconds. At least with brush and roller the screw ups are in slow motion.
There is a whole list of reasons, but covering EVERYTHING that is not to be sprayed is top among them.
As far as paint- check out Ben Moores "Ben" eggshell or the Ultraspec lo sheen if price is an issue, Regal Select Matte if better wash / scuff resistance is more important.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Interior Painting

Unless you have spent countless hours spraying, this is not a DIY kind of job, just say NO to spraying.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-23-2012)
Old 09-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #6

Interior Painting

If you are looking to make the job faster, maybe try one of those big 18" rollers instead of spraying.

ARC Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Interior Painting

I will cast another vote for not spraying if you are living in the house. And vote against it again if you have limited experience. If you ignore the advice, do be sure and turn off your HVAC while painting. And you must mask and tape absolutely every square inch you do not want painted.

I will cast a no vote for a wide roller too unless you are accustomed to using one. Nothing against them but you will also need a wide tray and wide roller covers which are not cheap. The weight will get to your wrists. It takes practice to control one of the big rollers.

Stick with the basics.

As for paint, I vote for Benjamin Moore. The Aura line is pricey but very washable. The flat is surprising in this regard, believe it or not. Clients of mine with kids loved the stuff.

Whatever, you are going to get paint store and not box store paint right?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #8

Interior Painting

I will also vote against airless spraying if you are living in the house I guess i misunderstood your initial post. Its just a personal thing but I vote for a satin finish I really don't care for flat on the walls. Use flat for ceilings.

Absolutely use PAINT store and don't forget there are 50% discount coupons for SW on this site. For 3000 sq ft that could be worthwhile.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote