Interior Paint Options For New Construction - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Interior Paint Options for New Construction

We are building a home in NC and have heard conflicting opinions on what pain to use. At our last home SW SuperPaint eggshell finish on the walls. We found it easy to clean but difficult to touch up the darker colors leaving us to repaint the wall. Does anyone suggest using a flat paint versus an eggshell paint given the fact nails holes will pop over the first two years and need to be touched up? As an option to SW SuperPaint I have been told to look at BM Regal Select, Glidden Diamond 350 and Devoe Wonder Tones. Any feedback as the preferred paint that is easy to wash off the wall and touch up?

In the last home we painted the trim with SW ProClassic oil that looked great. It was suggested to me to use Glidden's oil based paint over ProClassic. I was also looking at BM Advance but was told that look is good but still not like an oil based paint.

Lastly we are building a brick home and have read many stories about not painting brick due to chipping and peeling. We plan on painting white. The builder has assured me that using the right brick, waiting 30 days or more for the mortar to dry and sealing it before painting will not cause any problems with peeling but will be required to power wash each year. The paint recommended to paint the brick was Zinsser Perma White. If prepped properly, what's the likelihood of the paint peeling or chipping off the brick?

Thanks for any feedback.

Advertisement

NC4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Flat paint can be ok if you don't have kids or messy pets. It certainly touches up better.

In regards to the trim paint. BM Advance is like an oil. It essentially is an oil in that it is composed of alkyd resins, although the delivery vehicle is water rather than spirits.
If you decide to go with an oil, bear in mind the drawbacks of doing so. Once you start with oil, you have to use it for future re paints or use a specialty primer to convert to acrylic. Also, all oil paints will yellow to some extent over time.

Painting brick is not a popular idea among the painters on this forum, but it can be done successfully. Initial conditions are the key. The PH level of new masonry can cause problems. SW and others have specialty products for sealing/painting new masonry that will deal with less than ideal PH levels. I would maybe wait longer than 30 days, and check the PH before sealing to make sure its within tolerances of the product your using.

Advertisement

Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (04-16-2014), NC4me (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #3
Rob

Rewards Points: 550

Dryvit Demandit for masonry -http://www.dryvit.com/fileshare/doc/...tion/ds400.htm
It is the only thing I have ever use so I don't know how it compares to anything else. It works good but haven't used it in a long time.
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robpo For This Useful Post:
NC4me (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 03:15 PM   #4

I will plan on taking a piece of trim and will test out the difference in appearance between Advance and an oil based paint.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,668

I would certainly recommend either Pro Classic or Advance over oil base. I personally don't care for flat on wall. Might want to consider 1 step up depending on paint company maybe a satin, or matte. Both will touch-up better than egg-shell and clean up better than flat. Are you sure the PC used before was oil and not the acrylic latex? I could be wrong but I don't think it comes in straight oil.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
NC4me (04-17-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,222

Might I ask, why are you building a brick home only to paint it ???
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (04-16-2014), NC4me (04-17-2014), VAProPainter (04-17-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 05:45 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,278

SuperPaint for the walls is a good choice. Also, give SW's Cashmere a "look-see".

Like ChrisN, I have to question painting brick. By painting it, you take it from being a non-maintenance issue to something you have to refresh every 7 or 8 years.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
NC4me (04-17-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 10:04 AM   #8

We are painting the brick white because of the look compared to painting hardi plank. Yes, the Pro-Classic for the trim back in 2000 was an oil paint. I like the idea of satin or matte finish. Anyone had experience with using Glidden Diamond 350 and Devoe Wonder Tones for the walls?
Old 04-17-2014, 11:26 AM   #9

I have not used either. If you want the look of Hardi Plank why not just use it? Would have to be a lot cheaper.
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (04-17-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #10

We like the look of painted brick compared to the option of painting hardi plank.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 862

I am a GC and not a painter so I will not give you advice on paint.I also understand your liking of white painted brick,but I think the suggestion of painting brick and then pressure washing each year is asking for trouble.I am curious to see what the painters have to say that have painted brick.I know a lot of products have come a long ways in the past few years.
mako1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:32 PM   #12

I deal with painted brick some and here in Fla. anything white turns green in the spring including my truck. So a pressure washer and bleach become your friends. Just have to turn the pressure down to med. or low depending on your washer.
As to painting brick and I feel it should be determined what kind of brick, some have a rough surface, some has a very rough surface, and these go down to brick veneer, which I have on my house. These veneers have a smooth surface almost like glazed tile. On the rough surface they almost have to be sprayed. The smoother ones may get by with roller and brush.
The one thing about painting brick is it's like a tattoo. It's forever. About the only way to remove it is sand blast.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:08 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 500

I came by a brick house I painted a couple years ago today. It is very rough brick done with Loxon primer and one coat of Duration. Both products were applied very liberally at around 150 sq feet per gallon.

I would think frequent washing would be a good idea. You wouldn't want mildew to get a foothold in the texture of the bricks, but like Tool said use very low pressure or just do a bleach treatment and rinse with a hose.
Attached Thumbnails
Interior Paint Options for New Construction-image-2500584521.jpg  
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:19 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,460

It's personal preference, but we've had this discussion before - most guys here don't like painted brick, but I do. I think it can look really good, and a fair number of high end homes I've seen look good as painted brick. Although masonry can have a very high pH, the primers designed for the purpose deal with this well. Maintenance is essentially cosmetic, so it's not as high a concern as painting siding, for example.

The generally agreed order of sheen is flat, matte (or flat enamel), eggshell, satin, semi-gloss, gloss/high gloss. There is some overlap and it's up to each manufacturer at the end of the day. But usually satin is a bit more glossy than eggshell.

If you want a compromise between flat and eggshell, go with a matte finish.

I can tell you right now that on this forum, of the paints you mentioned, by far the greatest recommendations will be for SuperPaint or Regal Select. Of those 2, only Regal Select is available in matte. For Sherwin Williams in a matte finish, your best bet will probably be Duration. Benjamin Moore Aura also comes in matte. All of those are good quality paints.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:24 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,460

Most professional pressure washers use low pressure to clean a house. High pressure up close is just going to remove paint or possibly get up under siding. The only reason they use a pressure washer at all is to move a lot of water fast for cleaning and rinsing, and to get up very high without ladders. If your house is only 1 story, you don't really need a pressure washer to clean. Just spray the cleaning/bleach solution with a pump sprayer, then rinse with a hose. If your house is large or high, then buying or renting a pressure washer is an option, but learning the details of chemical injection is a pain, so you might be better off just hiring someone to do it for $200 every year or 2. Or sometimes only a few areas of your house are shaded and prone to algae, so you can self-clean once a year, and do the full pro job every 3 years.

Advertisement

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote