Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #1

Share |

Interior Paint for 1910 home - first time home buyer

hello, I have plaster/horsehair/lathe walls and plaster ceilings. What should I use for repairs (cracks, holes in the wall, chipped paint on the ceiling). What primer should I use? What type of paint holds up best for these walls? I'd especially like to be able to just go back and touch up with it blending in. For the wood trim, what do I use to clean, then some sort of chemical to "sand" it and then what type of paint?
Thank you!

kaspytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Please spend a few minutes looking through the first couple of pages of threads, then see what hasn't been answered for you already.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
Please spend a few minutes looking through the first couple of pages of threads, then see what hasn't been answered for you already.
Agreed. The search engine works well too. Not to put you off.

I worked almost exclusively on antique homes and buildings, most but those re-purposed had plaster walls and ceilings. Happy to help you out with specifics though but we need more information. If your questions are not answered in prior posts share more about how long, deep and wide the cracks and how big the holes? Plaster around the holes more or less intact or is it crumbly? Any water damage you know of? Any obvious loose plaster issues that need to be resolved? Any other factors that might have caused the cracks other than settling over time? How much plaster sagging are you seeing along the baseboards?

In general, I like making major plaster repairs with repair plaster but drywall materials are easier to work with. The two have different densities and react to temp and humidity differently to a point. You will want to use paint store products, not those from box stores.

Whether you can use a de-glossing chemical on the trim will depend on the paint. Nothing beats good old-fashioned sandpaper though! And of course cleaning walls, ceilings, and woodwork.

You are on the right track thinking about prep. It is 90-95 percent of what goes into a good paint job. Especially with plaster, you do want to address any infrastructure issues before prep and painting too.

Last edited by user1007; 02-19-2012 at 03:31 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
kaspytek (02-26-2012)