Interior Cut In - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Interior Cut In

The house is empty and I am using a spray gun to paint the ceiling white and am spraying all the base,case,jambs with the doors removed.I decided to free hand the cut in and having no luck holding a chrisp line.the trim is done and now I am rolling the walls and using a 2 1/2 cut in brush on the ceiling wall line and the base line.the base is flat with a 3/16 square top line which was caulked in place.I find if I cut in just to the top edge of the base I need to slighly paint part of the base top to bring the wall color down all the way?but now the top edge of the trim is un even and looks poor.I try regular masking tape on the base and ran the brush over the wall with the color,but when I pulled the tape I had a few bleed outs into the base moulding.looks bad too.
the ceiling line wall to ceiling is pretty rough and hard to follow a clean line,due to the walls un even condition.
Any Ideas?

Advertisement

Marbledust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,294

Interior Cut In

With proper experience you will someday be able to cut in those sharp lines. For now, masking tape is your friend.

Advertisement

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:49 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Interior Cut In

Frog tape i hear is good for the inexperienced.
Sealing the edge of any tape with the color that is beneath the tape ( so that is what bleeds) is another way.
Sealing the tape edge with gardz or peel bond is another way.
I assume you know to use a putty knife to blade the tape down hard?.
And of course learning how to use a brush to make a straight line would be another way, but takes more time.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brushjockey For This Useful Post:
Marbledust (08-24-2011)
Old 08-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #4

Interior Cut In

yeah,
frog tape will do me...I have worn out a fair deal of brushes over the years,but this job just needs crown mould to make the ceiling line straight.
looks like I will have to fire up the airless and re-spray the base...than use the old froggy tape...i just my old eyes just don't follow a line like they did when i was a young buck!

thanks for you time
Old 08-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,002

Interior Cut In

Marble,
go ahead and use the tape, nothing wrong with that. I use a bigger brush for cut in. The small ones tend to wander more. Depending on the situation, I use at least a 3" brush, sometimes a 4".
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
Marbledust (08-20-2011)
Old 08-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
NACE Coating Inspector

Rewards Points: 500

Interior Cut In

a good quality brush will help too.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #7

Interior Cut In

had the owner/contractor come bye today to show me how it is done....he says he has been a paint contractor for 35 years?high end stuff...boats and such.

er the tape to sealhe brought out a 1 1/2 cut in brush...first he soaked it in water and started to paint the white semi on the base.in the nean time he wiped out my color line?the color was down.now i see he can not help but to coat 1/2 the top edge of the base?but so uneven,

tomorrow is next to last day on the paint out....i will go ahead and tape the base and run a slight caulk over the base tape,this to keep the bleed out from the wall color hitting the base top.

on the ceing line i will run a very tight bead of caulk and wipe the color with a wet rag?
Old 08-20-2011, 04:59 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

Interior Cut In

MASKING tape is not you're friend and for the most part should never be used in painting.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Marbledust (08-23-2011)
Old 08-20-2011, 05:18 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

Interior Cut In

[quote=Marbledust;711091]had the owner/contractor come bye today to show me how it is done....he says he has been a paint contractor for 35 years?high end stuff...boats and such.

er the tape to sealhe brought out a 1 1/2 cut in brush...first he soaked it in water and started to paint the white semi on the base.in the nean time he wiped out my color line?the color was down.now i see he can not help but to coat 1/2 the top edge of the base?but so uneven,

tomorrow is next to last day on the paint out....i will go ahead and tape the base and run a slight caulk over the base tape, this is a really bad idea if you are planning on taping first and caulking to that. What will happen for you is the caulk sticking to the tape and when you go to pull the tape off the caulk will come with it and anything you tried to do after caulking. this to keep the bleed out from the wall color hitting the base top.

on the ceing line i will run a very tight bead of caulk and wipe the color with a wet rag?quote]What do you mean "wipe the color with a wet rag?? If you run a tight bead of caulk it will be caulk color, not ceiling color or wall color. If you want to run a bead of caulk that is all well and good but you will need to paint it your final colors, cutting in the ceiling first and then cut in the wall color with dry time in between. No masking tape I know of will work that fast for you if this is your last day of painting. Number one the tape will not adhere well on FRESH paint and caulk, but you run the risk of pulling off your new caulk with the tape, be it Frog or other tape.

I understand trying to get this done fast, but there are times that you have to let the products dry properly prior to doing the next step. Taking time to learn how to use a brush the right way in the long run will make a good final product for you.

www.picturetrail.com/mickey51
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:38 AM   #10

Interior Cut In

Maybe I was not clear.the paint is dry now for 2 days.the new technique I will try today is tape the very thin edge of the square top base(3/16")than rub in a fine thin coat of caulking with my finger,let it set up and run 2 light coats of wall color over,let dry and pull the tape.

on the ceiling the edge is not perfect so the brush has no choice but to follow.so a soft edge made with the white caulk(same as the ceiling)will blend out the edge.the color is washable and the caulk will wipe off.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:03 AM   #11

Interior Cut In

I still will recommend that you do not caulk after taping, no matter how much you feel you feathered out the joint, you will not get the crisp line you are talking about. The tape will hold the caulk, skiny pieces as it maybe, and so will the wall and once you pull the tape you WILL get some of the wall caulk off with the tape. I truly feel this is not going to give you the results you are looking for.

If the caulk that is on at the present time covers the gaps, then adding more will only round out the intersection between the trim to the wall.

Spray is a really fast way to do things, but learning how to work with a brush is the Only way, IMHO, to acheive the results you are looking for.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:09 AM   #12

Interior Cut In

believe me,i know how to use a brush,been using one since 1970.in this case the edge is so narrow even the master painter ED Wall could not hold a line.at least a line I can be happy with.

I'll try to post some pics.

ps...will let you know if the caulking peals up
Old 08-20-2011, 07:19 AM   #13

Interior Cut In

Sorry to question your abilities or results!!!!!!! Just in reading the posts on this thread I shared my opinion. If my walls are previously painted to a finish that is good, I found I need to rely on my brush to come in and finish the job. Masking uneven surfaces is not an easy task, let alone the possibility of the paint bleeding under the tape. I find that my eye is a better judge of what the final product will be over using masking tape. Tape is STRAIGHT, Walls and Trim are not.

I do wish you the best on this project!!!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to m1951mm For This Useful Post:
Marbledust (08-20-2011)
Old 08-20-2011, 06:58 PM   #14
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 540

Interior Cut In

Masking tape isn't going to work, its main purpose in the painting industry is for masking/covering windows ect. When production painting/spraying. It is not ment to be painted on or against as a line and its ment to be removed as soon as possible. The best way is with a quality brush. If your base is already painted then cut the wall into the base and then touch up the base as needed. I don't believe in using tape for any painting project unless your spraying and need to cover items. It is a bad habbit to get into and a lot of times you will still have bleed through. You could use blue scotch painters tape on a 3m hand masking machine with 2 inch brown masking paper to run along the top of the base to protect it from any drips, but I still would not exactly use it for a cut line. Nothing personal, but I don't understand why a guy that's painted 35 years can not cut the top edge of a piece of baseboard freehand.
Practice, put little paint on the tip of the brush and use a quality brush.

Last edited by housepaintingny; 08-20-2011 at 07:02 PM.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
Marbledust (08-23-2011)
Old 08-20-2011, 08:31 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,000

Interior Cut In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbledust View Post
believe me,i know how to use a brush,been using one since 1970.in this case the edge is so narrow even the master painter ED Wall could not hold a line.at least a line I can be happy with.

I'll try to post some pics.

ps...will let you know if the caulking peals up
Phooey!

Advertisement

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Marbledust (08-21-2011)