Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Interior Black Walls! Help!

I'm planning on starting to paint a large bedroom in my new house that is currently painted jet black.

I want to get these walls (and ceiling >_<) back to a lighter color, but I don't want to add more coats of primer on top of the black if it is at all avoidable. I've considered sanding the walls with a belt sander... would that be advisable?

The house is circa 1950 and has a good accumulation of paint on the walls as it is. Any painters secrets out there when it comes to painting over black walls!?

adobejuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #2

I would not attempt painting them without a GOOD primer 1st

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:38 PM   #3

i certainly would keep away from the belt sander - although I do think that would make a pretty funny U tube video =)

One coat of good quality primer such as 1-2-3, aqua lock, or BM fresh start and two coats of a quality interior latex and you will be fine. If you really want to do it right do a LIGHT HAND sanding first than wash down the walls with a TSP solution or some other cleaner that will not leave a residue.
good luck!
mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:36 PM   #4

A belt sander best case scenario changes your straight painting job into a skim coat job AND a paint job. And that is the best case.

No short cuts or secrets unfortunately to undo previous owners' idiosyncrasies. Take the time to do it right though. A paint coat film is very thin, but if you are worried about it, get your primer tinted your wall color, and that might save you a coat depending on the color you choose.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
Learning by Doing

Good paint job is dependent of prep work. Do it right the first time.

And, for pete's sake explain to us why the room was painted black, or at least come up with a suitably ridiculous explanation.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #6

Had a friend when I was a kid who painted his bedroom black
Parents let him.....
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Quote:
Originally Posted by adobejuan
I'm planning on starting to paint a large bedroom in my new house that is currently painted jet black.

I want to get these walls (and ceiling >_<) back to a lighter color, but I don't want to add more coats of primer on top of the black if it is at all avoidable. I've considered sanding the walls with a belt sander... would that be advisable?

The house is circa 1950 and has a good accumulation of paint on the walls as it is. Any painters secrets out there when it comes to painting over black walls!?
No sanding required or recommended
Just a good primer
You could use a shellac-based (white pigmented) or an oil/alkyd-based primer
But either has it's drawbacks for such a large enclosed (interior) project

I can say from personal experience (over black, no other issues) Sherwin Williams has a water-based primer that will cut the mustard on this one
We allowed my teen-aged step-daughter to paint the ceiling in her room
black
I knew full well it would be difficult to get it back to white when it would eventually become a "spare room", but being a professional that consideration didn't bother me
When the time came, I used a SW PrepRite/ProBlock water-based primer
It was slightly difficult to work with (compared to just re-painting), and (only!) a few places needed a second coat, but after that, one coat of BM's Muresco Ceiling White did the trick even to my (professional) standards
I was impressed as I thought for sure a heftier primer or more (or perhaps many more) top coats would be required
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
Painting Company, NY

Sherwin Williams Pro Block will work, it is good stuff, we use it often.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:55 PM   #9

Pro Block.

I will admit to a time I repaired some hair line cracks in a ceiling for the owner of a car restoration business once and primed it with Pro Block. Before I got a chance to paint it, he looked at it and said he was satisfied with it like it was and no need to paint.

A few years ago, I attempted to scrape my kitchen ceiling. Some places just did not want to come off. I primed it with oil based Kilz and planned to skim it. I still plan to skim it ot remove it. It is still white and even looking.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:05 PM   #10
Wire Chewer

Keep the black, turn it into a home theatre room LOL.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #11

Thanks to all of you for the great recommendations for primers et al!

I have TSP and sponges at the ready, not half as ready as I am to get rid of this black room!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
And, for pete's sake explain to us why the room was painted black, or at least come up with a suitably ridiculous explanation.
I'd like to say that the room was Ansell Adams' darkroom, but the evidence is in strong support of a spoiled teenager getting his parents to let him/her paint it black... the carpets dark green also.

adobejuan is offline   Reply With Quote