DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Im painting the door

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  izzyam 
#1 ·
Im painting the door and the old paint feels smooth and i iplied one coat of semi gloos paint but it doesnot feel smooth at all how can i get the new paint to feel really smooth

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Door Painting

Read your inquiry about getting your door smooth finish wise. Of course you have to make sure that the door your painting is smooth to begin with. Visually inspect the door and run your hands over all the surfaces. Once you're satisfied the door is smooth, dust it off so you don't get any dust rolled up in your paint as your painting.
The way "------" paint doors is first of all we use a high-quality oil paint such as Benjamin Moore's satin Impervo. Then apply the paint on by brush. You transport the paint to the door with a brush work it out anyway you want left right up and down and then when the paint is distributed evenly over the door then move the brush in one direction up and down all across the door.

#6 ·
Like Jay said......not enough info. Wood door, metal door, entrance door, garage door, etc. And, the all important question......what kind of paint are you using? Behr (bleh), SW, BM, Valspar........I've used Behr (once) and the semi-gloss dried to the texture of 150 grit sandpaper.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm painting the door

It does make a difference what kind of door you're painting whether it's or exterior door painting, metal or wood. The important thing here is to make sure that it is perfectly smooth. In the door should be room temperature. And the door should be on of any kind of draft or wind (the draft away and causes a premature drying). These paints that I see mentioned here are all Not that good. If you want a really nice smooth soft finish that you are applying my hand (brush and roller) you have to use a high quality oil painting that has plenty of “leveler agent” additive in the paint. The leveler agent lets the paint smooth out naturally by itself giving you a nice flat smooth finish.
It's much harder to paint latex because it is still not perfected as well. Latex paint has to be applied with very minimal amount of brushing or rolling after the initial rolling a brushing. You can't keep on going over and over the latex paint trying to smooth it out this won't work you'll end up with rough finish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.