I WILL NOT THINK PINK!...but For RETRO Effect. - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

I WILL NOT THINK PINK!...but for RETRO effect.

In hardware stores I always check the deals including the mis-tinted paint.

Every time I approach the paint section I think I might find a treasure of a brand and colour but instead - dang it - cans of stinkin PINK paint are always sitting there! Worse it's often decent brands of $40-$50/can paint on clearance for $8 - $10/can because it was 'miss-tinted'.

So as a value seeking guy, my question is: What colours can I convert pink into?

PINK + what = what

An internet search just turns up link on how to MAKE the stuff not dispatch with it. :-(

NOTE: I am a guy, but someday I actually do plan to buy some of that pink paint and actually use it as is.

THINK BEACH PARTIES of the 1950s and 1960s when I say that someday, at the lake, I do want to redo the interior of our old boathouse with a RETRO 1950's pastel pink and pastel yellow colour scheme to match some original 1950's cupboards I'd salvaged out of an old cottage ours. I'd found this article on a paint maker's website when I was researching the colours my aunt and uncle had used in the cottage in the 1950s.

It's actually a neat somewhat educational article. See the 1950s section. Table of contents (link at bottom):

"History of colour"The Colour Cycle
Fashion
The Economy
Television & the Movies
Technology & Science
Forecasting Colour Directions
The Importance of Correct Forecasting
1890 to 1920 - "The Revolt Against Things Victorian"
The Twenties - "Black, White and Silver"
The Thirties - "White to Bright"
The War Years - "Red, White and Blue"
The Fifties - "Paint the Town Pink"
The Sixties - "Flower Power"
The Seventies - "The Colour Naturals"
The Eighties - "Grey is No Longer Tattletale"
The Nineties - "A Return to Nature"
2000 and Beyond

Advertisement

Last edited by KinNorth; 06-12-2012 at 06:37 PM.
KinNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Wow. Not sure how to respond to all that!

The man knows his pink!

Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
Wow. Not sure how to respond to all that!

The man knows his pink!

I knew that was coming. :-(

I just edited out the "quotations" to avoid any copyright/thread breach. Anyway, I'd rather do research than work. I tell my wife I'm just carefully pre-planning everything. :-)

Anyway, I bet you'll never pass by one of those dirt cheap mis-tinted pinks again without wondering, What If...
Old 06-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

Pinky Tuscadero
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

The painting of the interior of the Santa Clara County California Jail hot pink is legendary. Apparently it calmed the prisoners. My only stint on real jury duty was in Santa Clara County. A cross dresser was solicited a cop for prostitution but got his right to a jury trial. He showed up in court with pink toenails.

http://www.orthomolecular.org/librar...10n03-p174.pdf

To answer your question. To dull any color you should be able to mix it with its compliment directly across the color wheel. So add mint green to pink, for instance, and you should end up with some sort of neutralized tan muddish looking crap.

I think you should just leave the mis-tinted pink cans alone. Know that parents came to their senses and did not paint some poor little girls room the color and move on.

Last edited by user1007; 06-13-2012 at 08:34 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I think you should just leave the mis-tinted pink cans alone. Know that parents came to their senses and did not paint some poor little girls room the color and move on.
I'm sure you know this Sdsester, but for others, those bizarre colors on the mis-tint shelves are not original. Stores will deliberately alter the colors so unethical people won't say "Oh, that's not right" and sneak back later to buy it at half price.

I don't blame the stores for doing that, but they could change the color without making them so gosh-darn bizarre and ugly.
Blondesense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I had honestly never heard of a paint store mucking up a mistint paint formula to the point of being totally unsaleable until you brought it up. I guess I would not put the scheme you mention past some people. My store was usually busy enough they did not have time to reopen cans to destroy what value they might have even if someone was running a scam and hoping to get hot pink at mistint pricing.

I took on the nightmarish task of sorting out paint store mistints and homeowner leftovers donated to a Habitat ReStore and never encountered altered mistints.

I also know how they happen and had many clients through the years that just knew, absolutely, for sure, they would love the color on the little paint chip as viewed under artificial lights even when I knew absolutely, for sure, they would hate 400sf of it. Even toward the end it was hard to convince the stubborn to wait a day for me to get them large 8x8 swatches they could view under the lighting conditions of their own home environments. God forbid they try one of those little test bottles if availed in the color chosen or buy a quart instead of going gung for a fiver on sale.

I am doing color consulting only now since unable to paint and trying to work with those in the design and renovation trades only. I just have lost patience with the unwashed masses and their approach to color choice by somehow dividing the number of swatches in a handful by 3 and picking that number code as the paint of choice.

I cannot imagine any paint store having to alter paint beyond a bad pink choice for whatever reason. It does scare me there are little balerinas and princesses growing up out there with the compromise pink color ultimately picked! And if you are right, heaven help the little ones in rooms painted with pink their parents cheated on to the mistint shelf. They are destined to grow up to be cheap hookers for sure.

Last edited by user1007; 06-13-2012 at 02:08 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Brushjockey (06-13-2012), goosebarry (06-13-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #8
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I had honestly never heard of a paint store mucking up a mistint paint formula to the point of being totally unsaleable until you brought it up. I guess I would not put the scheme you mention past some people.
I assumed this was a fairly common practice. Maybe more so in the discount apron stores than the brand name paint stores.
Maybe I'm wrong.
The fellow (a friend) who does this in the paint department I'm familiar with explained this to me when I commented on the bizarre colors. The idea is not to make them unusable, but just to change them significantly. And adding red will certainly do that.
Blondesense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #9

...but what colors can we make out of pink paint? ...or lime green (I've seen cans of that too.)

Advertisement