Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2011, 06:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

I want to repaint something, but don't know what kind of paint was original (oil/latx

I have an aquarium stand and canopy that was painted black, but only one coat so it doesn't look all that great. I'd like to fix up the paint by adding another coat (at least!)

So I was planning on lightly resanding it and then repainting it and have some questions.

Is it important what kind of paint I use if I don't know what the original paint was? For instance, if the original paint was latex, do I have to use latex? If it was oil based, do I have to use the same? Problem is I don't know what it was.

Should I sand and reprime it? I don't want to sand down all of the original paint (too much work!) but I don't mind running my sander over it to give paint/primer more adhesion.

Lastly...it's for an aquarium, is there any paint that is better for a wet environment? Exterior paint? Latex, oil, (whatever)?

Thanks so much!

Vince

Vincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:44 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I want to repaint something, but don't know what kind of paint was original (oil/latx

It is likely a factory sprayed oil based finish on there. My fellow pros will scream at this but since you want to keep it black? Spot prime any really bad spots. And then buy a few cans of black Krylon or something and crank this project out in a few hours.

Remember, with spray cans, light even coats.

But, if you get aggressive, it is solid black and few would ever notice mistakes.

If you want to take a purist approach? Tint your alkyd or latex bonding primer gray. Put two coats of nice, paint store, black semi-gloss over it all. Do note that black is usually a factory mix at quality paint stores. You might have to wait a day to get the paint.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:02 PM   #3

Hi, no it's not factory paint, the guy I bought it from built it himself. He has no idea what he used as it's been a while. It was a DIY project!

I heard that rubbing an alcohol covered cloth would remove latex and not oil based? In anycase, if I used that primer you suggested, it doesn't matter what goes, on top, is this correct?

Thanks for answering!

Vince
Old 04-30-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quality alkyd primers are great equalizers. You should be able to paint anything over it
Old 04-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Quality alkyd primers are great equalizers. You should be able to paint anything over it
Thank you very much for your advice! I will do that then. Any brand that you prefer?
Old 04-30-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincer View Post
Thank you very much for your advice! I will do that then. Any brand that you prefer?
I used Benjamin Moore most, Sherwin-Williams often also but any quality paint store brand would please you I suspect. If you are aiming for black black choose a factory mix and not one tinted at the paint store. There is just too much pigment in black paint for store tinted black to work. The paint store will have something that works.

Especially if using acrylic latex products remember they are dry to touch in a few hours but need 30 days or so to cure before plunking something like an aquarium.

You might see if the store carries or can order you a quart of something with urethane or melamine in black. Black porch and floor enamel might hold up to something heavy like an aquarium.