Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2013, 06:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

I painted my pool deck w/Porter Acrylic Floor Enamel 1069: POOL FURNITURE IS STICKING

This paint was highly recommended for my pool deck. I pressure washed pool deck, applied 2 thin coats in optimum weather, allowed 1 day in between coats. Now the rubber "grips" under my patio chair legs are sticking and lifting up some of the paint. WHY is this happening? WHAT IS THE SOLUTION TO PREVENT THIS?

getrdonegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 22

I painted my pool deck w/Porter Acrylic Floor Enamel 1069: POOL FURNITURE IS STICKING

That coating takes some time to cure----when was the finish applied?

Have you called Porter? They make some fine products and have a technical help line staffed by experts---Just a thought---Good company there---

getrdonegirl (04-28-2013), user1007 (04-28-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Acrylic coatings do take up to a month to fully cure although floor and porch paints usually come with catalysts to speed the process some. Many floor paints also have reinforcing resins that need to cure too. Ben Moore's acrylic floor product has epoxy reinforcement, for example.

I am not sure a paint product was your best alternative for an exposed deck. Most are fine for covered porches but are not built for the expansion and contraction of a deck coated on only one side and they usually do not come with UV protection like stain products would.

As with indoor hardwood floors, a nice exterior area rug can help protect your deck surface where the furniture sits. They come in all sizes, colors and textures.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
getrdonegirl (04-28-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #4

When you say pool "deck", do you mean the concrete surround of a built-in pool or a wood deck that surrounds an above ground pool?
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #5

The original concrete pool deck. By the previous 2 replies, I'm assuming I didn't give it enough time to "cure". I put the chairs on it the day after I painted it. The chairs are off now. What is your opinion? thanks.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 22

Give it a week and while you wait---call porter---they are a good company and will be your best source of information----

We all like to help---but their staff will give you the real scoop----Mike-----
getrdonegirl (04-29-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #7

Is it peeling to the old surface or is the top coat coming off the first? I'm assuming that since it's a pool deck, the concrete was not smooth but gritty, like a sandpaper feel for traction on wet.

So there wouldn't be any need to abrade. When you power washed it did you use any cleaners? What kind? Do you feel you rinsed it well enough?

The most likely cause as the others have pointed out is a lack of curing. Most times bonding increases as the curing elapses, but I've had paints bond over night, it varies.

As Sdsester pointed out, floors generally need to be returned to full function ASAP, so faster cure/bonding is a priority. My questions touch on other reasons for adhesion problems.

But there's no sense chasing other causes until this coating has had time to cure. I would give it another two days and put a (1) chair on it as a test. You might also call Porter as Mike suggested to inquire about the curing time and bonding. Good luck.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #8

I read the technical data sheet for 1069. It calls for a first coat thinned by one pint water per gallon on unfinished concrete, and unthinned topcoats. There's a difference between a thin coat and a thinned coat. A thinned coat increases penetration, a thin coat of an unthinned paint doesn't. What did you apply? I ask that because normal traffic use is 16 hours, so it is a fast cure.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #9

I called Porter who said that the dark colors can take longer to cure than light colors (mine is off-white). He said it could take up to 2 weeks, so I'll wait and see...