Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2010, 04:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

I paint, come back and it's GONE!

I am painting the ceilings in our new house which is almost a hundred years old and am recounting strange problems. I have painted before but have never seen these problems.

1. The paint seemed to disappear about 30 minutes after I painted. I put white CIL primer on a creamy ceiling. As I painted I could see the ceiling turn the nice bright white I was looking for, but then I come back to the place where I started and it was all creamy again except for the patch spots which were white. Not the look I was going for!

2. In several spots the paint started to bubble. I rolled over one of these bubbles and a big chuck of paint came off revealing what I believe to be the drywall. Why is in doing this? The primer said it was good to go over latex or oil.

Help please!

jmbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4

Paint Bubbles after Plastering

High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbell View Post
1. The paint seemed to disappear about 30 minutes after I painted.
!
apparently you do not have a pore key. You need to obtain a pore key and then find the pore keyhole and and close the pores. Hopefully you don't have a broken pore key spring. I understand those cost about $982 installed.

Last edited by nap; 09-06-2010 at 04:21 PM.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4

Heh Heh somehow missed that episode.

"Unpainted Breather or painted Gasper" Heh Heh
High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:15 PM   #5

LOL. That's pretty much how I felt while looking at it. I kept blinking and blinking. Today I tried slapping on a ton of paint in a corner and same result: as it dried, it yellowed. I'm going to spend some more time on the hole fixing from the blisters and then try BIN. If that doesn't work, I may have to talk my husband into crown molding and tin panels.

As for the blisters, they didn't happen in a spot that had been repaired. I think it might be from on oily spot though I don't want to know how that got on the ceiling.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:51 PM   #6

There is a BIG difference between the paint turning yellow and "dissappearing"
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #7

Is it a drywall ceiling or plaster?
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by epson View Post
Is it a drywall ceiling or plaster?
I think that it is drywall.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:17 PM   #9

Well if the house hasnít been painted in awhile then the drywall will become very thirsty and absorb the primer like a sponge which sounds like this is the case. The only thing you can do is re-apply the primer until you get a uniform coat and the drywall stops soaking in the primer. It might take at least three to four coats for this to stop.
Now as per your bubble issue: There are several primary reasons why paint would bubble or blister. A blister is usually the loss of adhesion between the new and the old layers of paint. This usually forms after the paint has dried, the amount of time could be a day or even a year or more and a bubble is usually caused by a chemical reaction. This bubble can be formed by expanding vapours or excess moisture on the surface during application and usually forms before or during the initial drying phase.
It is also possible for a large blister or paint bubble to form a few days after painting, apparently for no good reason. These occurrences are usually caused when the new paint film dries and shrinks, pulling on the underlying layers and lifting them from the surface.
Homes that originally were stained or treated with linseed oil then painted with latex or acrylic paint without a primer can show this lifting of a paint layer when a new layer is added. The same thing can happen when a home is originally painted with an oil base.
This is unfortunate as the older layers are not fully adhered. In this case the only prevention is the original preparation or lack of. Repairing the affected areas as the damage occurs is all that can be done by hand sanding to blend in the paint edges with the surrounding surface prime and paint.

epson is offline   Reply With Quote