Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #1

Share |

I need to stain cabinet but wood varies from light/dark

Hi all, I just joined the forums here. I'm a carpenter and I'm competent with wood working but I'm not a painter. I'm not very good with paint (becuase I usually make a mess) and I hate doing it, therefore I've avoided it all my life & I have little to no experience with painting & staining.

But at the time I'm out of regular work & helping my mother redo her 2 bathrooms in her house. I've been building her a cabinet & at the moment i'm constructing the face frame. It's going to go wall to wall & the face frame is made with 1x3 rails & styles of red oak. But on the ends the styles will need to be about 3-4" each so a 1x3 wouldn't do. I bought a 1"x6"x6' and have already cut it down to make the end styles but as I dry fit these end styles on I see that while they are the same type of wood as the rest of the face frame (red oak), the styles are a much darker red tone than the rest of the face frame which is lighter & paler. It's all unsanded & unfinished. I haven't put the end styles on yet.

I was planning on using a moderately dark stain. I'm wondering if after the stain is on if it will all look ok? As it is, dry & unfinished, it seems to clash. I just hate to spend another $20 because the board is the wrong color. I've already made two different $20 mistakes which were completely bone-headed moves on my part and I don't want this to cost my mother more than it needs to.

If it doesn't look better after stained then, isn't there a way to darken or lighten the parts to make them a closer match?

P.S. I haven't bought stain yet, so I haven't yet made any samples.

thx to anyone that helps,
gus

smally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:16 AM   #2
DIY staff

Try a sample--oak takes stain well---My guess is that the variation will be acceptable.

Flecto (Varithane) has little ketchup packet sized samples at .25 cents each--Menards has Flecto in this area.

All you can do is try--You already cut the board--Give it a shot---Mike---

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #3

Well, I finally found the answer to my own question. I thought I'd post the link in case anyone else is needing to know or interested. Now I just gotta find this stuff so I can get back to work

http://www.woodmagazine.com/material...h-wood-bleach/

Hope that helps someone else.

BTW before I found this, I went into the lowes today & brought some scrap pieces of wood. I played around w/ some stains & decided to go w/ Minwax's dark walnut. But I had a piece of the 1x6 (which was very red) & also a couple scraps of 1x3 (that were not nearly as red). Once stained when the 2 pieces were next to each other they still stood out, so I guess I need to bleach the 1x6 styles before I finish the face-frame.
smally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:21 AM   #4
DIY staff

Be careful with that wood bleach--It will completely change the way the wood takes the stain--

It usually leaves a yellow cast to oak---Experiment.--Mike---
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote