Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2012, 11:51 PM   #1

Share |
Question

I need a few questions answered

Hi,

I was recently left a 102 year old 2035 square foot two family home in a will. It is dire need of repainting inside and as such i have been getting estimates from paint contractors for the job. I had a few questions though i am hoping some of you here here might be able to answer for me.

I know there is definitely lead paid in the house but i honestly can't afford to have a lead abatement at the moment. So if i do just decide to have it painted without having the abatement. Is there anything i need to tell or ask / request from the painters?

My second question is i am new to dealing with paint contractors and i am pretty sure i have found the one i am going to go with. He has already given me an estimate for the job and all i need to do now is accept his offer if i so choose.

What i would like to know now is what questions should i be asking him when he comes by again? This will be our second meeting.

Any help answering these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Theresa

treegreen101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I would ask for the bid, convertible to a contract, in writing. Here anything over $1K is supposed to be on paper. I assume you have checked out that he/she has adequate insurance (and you should add an umbrella liability to you own homeowners if not already in place)?

His/her contract should spell everything out but make sure, in addition to that in writing, you discuss and agree to person to person:

The scope of the work to be performed including repair, prep and painting.

Who besides him/her is going to be working on your property.

The paint and other materials to be used.

How any unforseen surprises are to be handled. There will be some with a house of that vintage.

Billing and payment terms including advances for materials, progress payments, etc.

Timeframe expectations with regard to completing the project.

Removal of leftover materials, empty containers, etc. used in painting the project if you do not have trash service at the site.

Any warranties offered on the work and commitments to come back for touch up if required.

The lead issue is going to be tricky. You are going to have to disclose you know or suspect it is there in any real estate transactions. The painter may ask for a signed liability waiver since you are asking him/her to paint over lead. Somebody is going to have to abate any flaked, chipped, etc. lead paint in the house that is not capable of being painted or otherwise sealed over. I would encourage you to give serious consideration to not abating. It could all come back to haunt you and be more costly later than now.

Last edited by user1007; 05-26-2012 at 12:44 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
treegreen101 (05-26-2012)
Old 05-26-2012, 04:06 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

If there is lead involved, any reputable painter will be asking you questions. Such as are you ready to pay for this work? Apparently you are not, so you will not have any painting contractor that is licensed doing the work.

Good luck with who you find
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2012, 04:11 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I would ask for the bid, convertible to a contract, in writing. Here anything over $1K is supposed to be on paper. I assume you have checked out that he/she has adequate insurance (and you should add an umbrella liability to you own homeowners if not already in place)?

His/her contract should spell everything out but make sure, in addition to that in writing, you discuss and agree to person to person:

The scope of the work to be performed including repair, prep and painting.

Who besides him/her is going to be working on your property.

The paint and other materials to be used.

How any unforseen surprises are to be handled. There will be some with a house of that vintage.

Billing and payment terms including advances for materials, progress payments, etc.

Timeframe expectations with regard to completing the project.

Removal of leftover materials, empty containers, etc. used in painting the project if you do not have trash service at the site.

Any warranties offered on the work and commitments to come back for touch up if required.

The lead issue is going to be tricky. You are going to have to disclose you know or suspect it is there in any real estate transactions. The painter may ask for a signed liability waiver since you are asking him/her to paint over lead. Somebody is going to have to abate any flaked, chipped, etc. lead paint in the house that is not capable of being painted or otherwise sealed over. I would encourage you to give serious consideration to not abating. It could all come back to haunt you and be more costly later than now.

A signed liability waiver puts the contractor in jail if this job happened to be inspected.That is like saying"yes I knew there was lead and am just painting over it. Welcome to a $34,000 fine. According to RRP regulations," painting over" lead based paint is still creating dust, don't ask me why but this is what I learned in the very expensive class.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2012, 06:49 AM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

I'll actually tell you what the painter should already know. He is required, by law, to be certified by the EPA to do work on this house. I wish all my fellow posters here would lose the word ABATEMENT. that is total removal. The law is about safe working practices, NOT abatement.
It is about 3 things- dust and debris containment during work, safe work practices, and a very thorough clean up.
With practice, it isn't hard to do , but does add considerable time to a job.
Here is a link to the booklet that if your contractor doesn't offer you before starting , he is already breaking the law, because it is required that you have it before work begins-

http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/renovaterightbrochure.pdf
treegreen101 (05-26-2012), user1007 (05-26-2012)
Old 05-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #6

Thumbs up

Thank you for the awesome advice guys. I wrote everything down. If there is anything else you should think of that i might also want to cover with him by all means please let me know.

Regards

Theresa

P.S. I will you all know how it goes.

treegreen101 is offline   Reply With Quote