Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2007, 12:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

I need advice on painting

My mom and I are trying to spruce up her house to sell. My stepsister had done a really bad painting job in her bedroom with burgandy paint. It is on the ceiling (we tried priming it and painting with white paint but it still bleeds through. I was wondering if Kilz would work??

Also in the same bedroom, one of the walls was not real sheetrock. It is the kind that goes in some trailers, The problem is the paint peeled off the paper and now it seems to be some sort of textured like stuff underneath. Can we paint it? Will we have to replace it with real sheetrock? Could we wallpaper it? Though I don't think wallpaper would look good in a bedroom...

Could someone give me some suggestions?
Thanks ~Ashley~

AshleyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:51 AM   #2
Pro Painter

You can patch the wall that has mobilehome wallboard.

Look closely at the wall, is it the type that actually has a paper surface? And does it have tiny crisscross lines in it?

I've recently done work on mobile homes and noticed this. So when you patch the wall, sand the patch with a paper that will match the tiny lines. Try 180 grit and sand horizontally and then vertically, very lightly.

If the wall board is perfectly smooth, just patch the damaged areas with joint compount.

As for the deep red, if you used a decent primer, then you just need to lay on another coat of paint.....or two. Yes kilz will work, and you don't need the solvent based kilz. But I really believe you just need more paint. The burgandy paint isn't bleeding through, it just takes more coats to cover red.

For future reference, pure white paint does not cover very well. Use an off white or at least some black tint in white paint when trying to cover another color.

Last edited by joewho; 03-20-2007 at 12:55 AM. Reason: typo
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:04 AM   #3

Thanks for the advice. And yes it is the tiny grid like pattern. One whole wall where the paper stuff came off of it.

Last edited by AshleyChris; 03-20-2007 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
Pro Painter

Are you saying the paper came off the whole wall? Or it's a wall of the mobil home material, with small patching to be done?

If its the whole wall, I would give you different advice.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:46 PM   #5

It came off part of the wall...then my husband thought it would be easier to take it all off....so he took it off of a section about 8 or 9ft by about 5ft. Now we have that whole big section with the grid-like surface.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:38 PM   #6
Pro Painter

I apologize for the miscommunication. I'm trying to picture this in my mind.

So, the paint came off of the wall, but underneath is the mobil home type wall board? On this wall board is a paperlike covering that is in good shape? But it needs to be patched in a couple of places?

What I need to know is what your husband took off. Paint that was peeling? Or the actual paper covering on the wall board?

What I really need to know, is if the wall has a lot of exposed, uncovered wall board. If so, that needs to be primed with zinnser guardz before you patch. The water in the compound will make the exposed wallboard bubble, making matters worse.

If you husband peeled off sheets of paint, that was a good thing. If that paint isn't sticking the new paint won't stick. If he did, in fact, peel off a big sheet of paint, you should use patching compound along the edge of the paint that is still there and sand it in the criss cross pattern.

Last edited by joewho; 03-22-2007 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:33 AM   #7

He peeled off what he thought was the paint, but it ended up being the paint with the paper from the wall, exposing the grid-like surface in an 8 by 5 ft area.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:12 PM   #8
Pro Painter

Well, now I'm confused.

The 'grid like surface' I was talking about is the tiny pattern in the paper. If the papers gone, then I don't know.

The area that has been peeled needs to be coated with zinnser guardz. This will stop bubbling. Then the whole area has to be skim coated.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:31 PM   #9

Ok Thanks again for the advice. I will let my mom know so she can get it finished, but we may not have to do anything to it, there is a couple that is interested in buying it as is so maybe we will luck up...