Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

i have a few painting questions for an expert

my husband and I are moving to house this weekend and we had decided to paint the floor because we wanted to seal in all the pet odors the previous renters had left. and we could not afford to sand and refinish them. they are hardwood partly finished and some unfinished. we pulled up carpet and found that around the perimeter of the the living room someone had put that real old and sticky linoleum that we had to take up with a heat gun and a scraper. after taking up the sticky stuff there was still some residue so i used a kilz type primer. then after it dried i put a layer of deck and floor laytex paint on and waited more than 24 hours as it said on the can. but when i went back to put on the second coat it was still tacky and sometimes it even peeled up when i steped too long on it. i went ahead and put the second coat anyway because the bucket said i could and tonight i am going back to check it out but i am worried it will not be right even though it says that by tonight (48 hrs later) it should be able to take heavy traffic.
I am worried about putting my furniture on it and walking on it too much etc. is there a way i can test the steadfastness of the paint? and what can i do if it is wrong? did i do it wrong or does it sound ok?

spots_grooming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
NAV

Rewards Points: 75

Painting floors is tricky business.

From my experience with floor enamels you should never prime and if you do you should give the primer at least a week to cure before applying the floor enamel. the reason is the floor enamel will dry much faster than the primer trapping the solvent or water (depending on the primer you used) under the floor coating.

did you sand the floors down before you primed or did you prime over a glossy surface?

when the paint pulled up on you. did the primer lift too or just the top coat?

that floor will probably take 1 to 2 weeks to fully cure before you can have heavy traffic on it. 1 to 2 months to cure before you can set heavy furniture on it without it bonding to the floor. a lot has to do with the temperature and humidity.

Sorry for the bad news but it sounds like your floor will continue to give you problems. you should probably buy some carpet and call it done.

NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

It sounds like you didn't get the floor clean enough to start. And I am guessing you used Kilz latex primer? You've created a bit of a mess since whatever was left on the floor is probably not getting along well with it.

Absolutely hate carpeting but it may be your best answer since your problems are near the walls and you cannot fix this with nice throw rugs?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:32 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

What did I do wrong? You did not clean the surface enough prior to priming. Nothing will stick now. Sand everything off or cover it.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:53 AM   #5

thanks for the input everyone. I really appreciate the advice. I thik i have come to the realization that I may have to use carpet. the wood floor was unfinished wood and soaked with pet urine. about a week before i painted it I soaked it with bleach and then lysol, i scrubbed it in with a broom and then let it dry while i worked on taking off the linoleum stuff. It was really wierd because they only put it on the perimeter of the room. like they started and then decided they didn't want it. but after taking up the linoleum it was still a little sticky so i tried using mineral spirits to take off the glue. then i mopped the floor again. it was still a little tacky but the chick at lowe's said the primer would cover it. i actually used bullseye oil based primer becasue that's what i was told to use by the lady. it said on the can too that it can go under or over any oil or laytex paint. then i followed the directions on both cans. painted the primer, let it dry next day painted one coat of paint, let it dry 24 hours, painted second coat, It looked gorgeous. When i went back it started comming off but only in the parts where there was linoleum. So i at first decided to re-do just those areas but after we moved all of our furniture in over the weekend ( a full week after painting the floor) it looks like crap. Not sure if I should bother re-doing it or take the stuff back to lowe's for a refund and buy a carpet. It really did look nice at first.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spots_grooming View Post
thanks for the input everyone. I really appreciate the advice. I thik i have come to the realization that I may have to use carpet. the wood floor was unfinished wood and soaked with pet urine. about a week before i painted it I soaked it with bleach and then lysol, i scrubbed it in with a broom and then let it dry while i worked on taking off the linoleum stuff. It was really wierd because they only put it on the perimeter of the room. like they started and then decided they didn't want it. but after taking up the linoleum it was still a little sticky so i tried using mineral spirits to take off the glue. then i mopped the floor again. it was still a little tacky but the chick at lowe's said the primer would cover it. i actually used bullseye oil based primer becasue that's what i was told to use by the lady. it said on the can too that it can go under or over any oil or laytex paint. then i followed the directions on both cans. painted the primer, let it dry next day painted one coat of paint, let it dry 24 hours, painted second coat, It looked gorgeous. When i went back it started comming off but only in the parts where there was linoleum. So i at first decided to re-do just those areas but after we moved all of our furniture in over the weekend ( a full week after painting the floor) it looks like crap. Not sure if I should bother re-doing it or take the stuff back to lowe's for a refund and buy a carpet. It really did look nice at first.
Are you a blonde?
Old 11-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #7

that's pretty rude

im not blonde just inexperienced in painting i don't ask clients who tried to groom thier pets at home if they are blonde good intentions gone wrong that's all .

i am i blonde? are you a bigot?
Old 11-16-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Regards to ToTo