I Have 11 Interior 6-panel Doors To Paint - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

I have 11 interior 6-panel doors to paint

The thought of having to paint all these doors makes me want to vomit. Part of me wants to hire someone off Craigslist to paint them all.

Any advice to help me keep my sanity? Just a partial vent on my part here.

Advertisement

Dave88LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #2

I also have ~300' of base molding/door frame/casing to nail-fill and paint. I think I will just start drinking.

Advertisement

Old 12-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,276

Drinking---well,you don't have to do that to get a professional job---

Get yourself a good 2 1/2" sash brush and a hot dog roller (toilet roller) --brush the inside edges of the panels and roll the flat parts----3/8" nap is good for semi gloss ---

If you hire a painter---get a good one----see if your local paint store has the names of some skilled painters.

Craigs list is a bit of a risk---some novices advertize there (I;m being kind)---Mike---
eandjsdad (12-28-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 788

Yeah, all painters are not created equal so hiring it out is like playing Russian roulette. I did my 6 panel doors one at a time then drank heavily after each one. When I could see well I did a great job. Fast forward 20 years and the vision is not so good....ditto the last door I painted.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,294

Oh Mike has sound advice. Get a good Purdy or Wooster sash brush and a Whizz 4" roller. IF you want to take them off the jams, that helps in a lot of ways. You can lay the doors on sawhorses and make lots of time. With the door laying flat, use your brush to paint the profile of the 6 panels, the part that is hard to roll. Then you can use the whizz roller to roll the rest of the door. These doors roll out pretty fast. Once you get a system going, you can brush and roll one side of a door in 10 minutes or so.

If you have a garage or large area to do the painting, you can set the doors up along a wall to allow for drying while you paint each successive door. After the first coat dries, flip the doors and do the other side. Two coats of a quality latex paint should do the trick. In 3 or 4 hours time, you could be done…….leaving plenty of time to get drunk.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #6

Yeah I wouldn't hire anyone off Craigslist at this point, I don't have the time to pick a good person. Russian Roulette -- At least I'd get some good vodka out of it.

I have about one week left to finish everything up. I painted some closet doors a year or so ago and it was a PITA even on a sawhorse. I think I need to use Floetrol maybe. It was a pain. I do have a large open area downstairs I can paint and take the doors off the hinges.

I also have a Graco TrueCoat Plus sprayer but I don't think I have the time to figure that all out right now. http://www.lowes.com/pd_333010-48690...ductId=3286090

Thanks for the tips!
Old 12-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 512

well since you have a graco sprayer you can fly painting these doors. find a decent helper buddy and set up the doors with plastic up on a wall. you can spray them and get your helper buddy with a brush go behind you and do a quick once over on the doors to make sure theres no drips or anything. then flip the doors and do the other sides. Your going to need the smallest tips graco makes, those guns spray a ton of paint and arent really a detail sprayer. so you have to be on and off the trigger quick and make sure you stop to prime it or it'll just spray splatter.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to princelake For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (12-28-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,686

Quote:
Originally Posted by princelake View Post
well since you have a graco sprayer you can fly painting these doors. find a decent helper buddy and set up the doors with plastic up on a wall. you can spray them and get your helper buddy with a brush go behind you and do a quick once over on the doors to make sure theres no drips or anything. then flip the doors and do the other sides. Your going to need the smallest tips graco makes, those guns spray a ton of paint and arent really a detail sprayer. so you have to be on and off the trigger quick and make sure you stop to prime it or it'll just spray splatter.
If you have a sprayer these doors will be a piece of cake.
1. Don't get your buddy to use the brush. this will defeat the glass like finish
you got from spraying.
2. Don't just get small tips get Graco Fine Finish tips. For the doors I would
probably get a 410ff.
3. With these tips they really are detail sprayers.
4. Get another tip probably a 210ff and you can get a perfect glasslike finish on
your baseboard also with minimal prep. If you are interested let me know.
One word of advice if you remove more than 1 door at a time be sure to number it so you know what hole it goes back in. Each door has been planed and fitted to fit it's opening even if it's only off a little it can cause large problems to put the wrong door in the wrong opening. One other thing that is important is what paint are you planning to use?
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Dave88LX (12-29-2013), Jmayspaint (12-29-2013), kkeith (12-30-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #9

OK some sprayer questions:
I've never used the sprayer before, how much of a learning curve is there to it?
How much overspray would there be in the air?
My molding is already installed -- does that change your opinion?

Do you have a preferred paint to use with these? I haven't read the instructions yet or done any research on painting with it...the information may be in there.

I looked locally at HD/Lowes, they do not have the 410 tip for store pickup (and only have a week left in the house).

Available tips: 211 - 311 - 313 - 411 - 413 - 415 - 417 - 515 - 517 - 521 - 619

Based on your experience, which would be the closest?
Old 12-29-2013, 08:33 PM   #10

DAMNIT. I bought this thing about a year ago and it had been sitting in my closet since. I just opened it up to see what tips were included, and this thing is USED, covered in paint, and doesn't even look like the a-hole attempted to clean it up afterwards. Some !@#$%^ bought it for a job and returned it. Course I bought it so long ago there's not a damn thing I can do about it now I bet. I'm pissed. Be one thing if I knew I was buying something used or reconditioned. But this, this makes me very angry. They (a-hole or store) even put the zip tie back on the outer plastic case.

Last edited by Dave88LX; 12-29-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #11

Just tried it out - nope, doesn't pump.

I have a couple options:
1. Return it to Lowe's and explain the situation. Found my receipt, maybe there will be an understanding person.
2. If they tell me to hit the road, put a zip tie on it, and be an a-hole too and hope I can get store credit.
3. Send it out for reconditioning (which defeats the whole purpose of me buying one, I need it now).

Damnit I'm so pissed off. It looks suspicious.

Assuming they cooperate and let me exchange -- LTS15 or LTS17? Or another handheld? I'm sure I'll find other uses to include deck, fence, a basement build.

Last edited by Dave88LX; 12-29-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #12

OK slow down and we'll take it one step at a time. The big box stores have an excellent return policy. Take it back and see what they say. The choose between LTS15 and 17 take the biggest one that will shoot the biggest tip size. This may come in handy later. The bigger size it will handle the thicker paint it will shoot.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #13

I'm a bit more calm now. I about flipped my lid when I opened up the case to that thing. Thank you.

I skipped straight to the drinking part for the rest of the night. In no mood to deal with caulk right now.

Have the receipt, we'll see what they say tomorrow. I just hope they don't think I'm trying to pull one over on them.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
OK some sprayer questions:
I've never used the sprayer before, how much of a learning curve is there to it?
How much overspray would there be in the air?
My molding is already installed -- does that change your opinion?

Do you have a preferred paint to use with these? I haven't read the instructions yet or done any research on painting with it...the information may be in there.

I looked locally at HD/Lowes, they do not have the 410 tip for store pickup (and only have a week left in the house).

Available tips: 211 - 311 - 313 - 411 - 413 - 415 - 417 - 515 - 517 - 521 - 619

Based on your experience, which would be the closest?
1. yes there is a learning curve. Go to a local appliance store get some big pieces of cardboard. Go to the box store and get some mis-tinted paint, cheap, then practice.
2. With the Fine Finish tips there will be very little overspray.
3. The moulding being install doesn't change anything.
4. I use SW Pro Classic or Ben Moore Advance
5. I am pretty sure the tips at Lowe's or Depot are just regular tips. These are
not what you want. you need Fine Finish tips.
6. You can get 1 tip a 310 or 311ff will do both the doors and trim. You will also
need a tip guard for FF tips. Check at your local SW store.
Battery going dead will check back in the AM
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Dave88LX (12-30-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #15

1. Lucky for us I'm in the middle of packing up for a move and also have some junk basement walls. Plenty to play on.
3. No kidding? That is awesome. If I were going to spray my molding, would painters tape on the floor and some dropcloth be enough? Paint the wall after the molding instead of before?
4. Oh, real painter's paint. I'd need to find out where to buy those locally.
5. Yeah none of those seem to be a FineFinish tip that I can see on the box store sites. What is the difference out of curiosity? I'll check with Sherwin Williams.

Thank you for the information.

Looking up tips. I assume these "Fine Finish" tips can be used on the standard guns that come with the LTS/X series of sprayers?
http://www.graco.com/content/dam/gra...300564EN-I.pdf

Advertisement

Last edited by Dave88LX; 12-29-2013 at 10:52 PM.