Hudity Streaks - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Jmayspaint
  • 1 Post By blackjack
  • 1 Post By chrisn

Old 12-30-2016, 09:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Hudity Streaks

I recently renovated (completely gutted) my front small bathroom (about 50 sq ft). Everything is new minus the tub, took the walls down to the studs and installed new green board throughout, upgraded the contractor grade exhaust fan to one that is rated for a bathroom twice the size of mine, I painted (3 coats) with Behr Premium Plus Ultra, stain blocking paint and primer in one, satin enamel in a slate grey color. Issue now is, surfactant leeching (sp). The stains wipe off rather easily with warm water, but the reappear after a while. Is there anything I can do to correct this or am I stuck with washing my walls down every month or so? The project took me about 6 weeks to complete while working my full time job in the Navy. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Advertisement

Frio39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:36 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 832

Re: Hudity Streaks

Well, to be blunt, a drywall primer should have been used before applying your topcoats. This would have sealed up the green board properly. BEHR is just so-so paint. You will have to do it all over with better paint. At this point you may have to prime with an oil-based primer using something like Zinsser's CoverStain. Then topcoat with a high quality paint like SW's Cashmere or Duration.

Advertisement

Old 12-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #3
Anonymous Tard

Rewards Points: 16

SW Super Paint or Duration would be good but also a good primer first. There is also an additive you can throw in for mildew resistance.
getrex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2016, 12:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 534

The leaching will likely stop after a few cycles of washing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chrisn likes this.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (12-30-2016)
Old 12-31-2016, 03:30 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 108

Is the air flow working properly in that room? Is there a gap under the door to draw air in to be circulated? If your fan is a typical 110 cfm, and works properly, has proper draw, ducting and exhaust and is used during showers and left running for a short period of time afterwards, you shouldn't be getting that much leeching to begin with if the paint was cured prior to putting the bathroom back in service. Just food for thought and easy to fix if the door is too tight to the floor, trim it up a bit.
I just went through this with a customer a while back.
We did some repairs a year prior, replaced the fan, skimmed, primed everything in oil, painted it with Sherwin williams harmony in a dark gray. Similar thing happened..
Replaced the 3in duct with a 4 in, trimmed an inch ( ish ) off the door, and repainted in proclassic satin enamel to cover all bases.
Also, the ho's were on vacation for a week so the paint had more time to cure. Good luck.
Gymschu likes this.
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:13 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack View Post
Is the air flow working properly in that room? Is there a gap under the door to draw air in to be circulated? If your fan is a typical 110 cfm, and works properly, has proper draw, ducting and exhaust and is used during showers and left running for a short period of time afterwards, you shouldn't be getting that much leeching to begin with if the paint was cured prior to putting the bathroom back in service. Just food for thought and easy to fix if the door is too tight to the floor, trim it up a bit.
I just went through this with a customer a while back.
We did some repairs a year prior, replaced the fan, skimmed, primed everything in oil, painted it with Sherwin williams harmony in a dark gray. Similar thing happened..
Replaced the 3in duct with a 4 in, trimmed an inch ( ish ) off the door, and repainted in proclassic satin enamel to cover all bases.
Also, the ho's were on vacation for a week so the paint had more time to cure. Good luck.
that's the key right there.
blackjack likes this.

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote