How To Touch-up A Painted Living Room Ceiling - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2016, 08:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 55

How to touch-up a painted living room ceiling

Our wood living room ceiling was painted 20 years ago with a flat white paint using a roller. Two years ago I had to touch up a small place - 4 inches by 3 feet - on the ceiling where a leak had caused a stain. This touch-up did not match 100% - the touched up area is visible - since I no longer had the original paint and that color was no longer made by the paint company. I want to fix this. I borrowed a tool (made by Color Savvy) that when pressed against a painted surface will indicate the best paint match from a database of over 10,000 paints from several paint manufacturers. Pretty cool.

Okay, so now I can buy a paint that exactly matches the ceiling and touch-up the small area.

But this leads to a question:
Is there a specific technique that I should use when applying the paint to this small area so that when dry, the touched up area blends seamlessly with the rest of the ceiling and is no longer visible?

Advertisement

goshenplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:57 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 3,744

If and I say IF the new paint actually matches the old and I have my doubts, you would just need to roll the patched area with the same nap roller cover you used originally. I think the best bet would be to just paint the whole ceiling, after all it's been 20 years!

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (01-10-2016), ToolSeeker (01-10-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 07:25 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,974

Totally agree with painting the entire ceiling. No matter what the gizmo says 20 years of aging on the ceiling I don't see any paint being a match. Maybe a computer could match it if you could cut out a sample to take in.
SPS-1 (01-10-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 07:20 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,382

No way dude. Paint the whole ceiling and save yourself hours or even days of frustration. And did you mention this scenario to the people selling you the paint? If they are worth dealing with they would have said the same thing if they were aware that it was a "touch-up" on twenty year old paint.
klaatu is offline   Reply With Quote