Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to tell if all wallpaper glue is removed?

I am remodeling my bathroom that had wallpaper in it. My house is about 18 years old and most of the old wallpaper peeled right off. Personal experience and everything that I have read says to be sure that all of the old wallpaper glue is removed. How can I tell if there is still wallpaper glue still on the walls? To my completely untrained eye it looks like that there is no wallpaper glue left, but how can I be sure?

I also had a painting job go bad in my other bathroom once and one of my theories was that the wall paper glue not being completely removed.

CameraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,360

Simple--Spray some water on the walls--let it soak a few minutes---run your hand over the damp spot.

If the wall is slimy or sticky it has glue on it.

After the paper is removed you should have washed the walls down with a green scrub pad and then toweled the wall dry. If you didn't do the final wash the wall is likely not clean.

A light sanding of the whole wall is standard practice, to knock off any bits of crud.---Mike---

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:50 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,092

You should also apply a coat of Gardz, after you get all the PASTE off, just to be sure.
Attached Images

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:30 PM   #4
jce

If you are not sure if you have removed all paste , OR have not removed all paste because of difficulty in removal. It is a necessity to use an oil base primer to seal in the paste before topcoating with latex.
The glue can/will activate with a latex primer & can cause problems for you with the finish coat.
jce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:47 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jce View Post
If you are not sure if you have removed all paste , OR have not removed all paste because of difficulty in removal. It is a necessity to use an oil base primer to seal in the paste before topcoating with latex.
The glue can/will activate with a latex primer & can cause problems for you with the finish coat.
NO, it is not necessary to oil prime,Gardz is formulated to seal in residual paste.Oil is certainly OK but the Gardz will do the same thing without the clean up mess.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:54 AM   #6

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jce View Post
I agree 1000%
willwham1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willwham1 View Post
I agree 1000%

Well, the two newbie's are just wrong. I do this for a living and know a little bit about stripping wall paper and preparing the walls for paint.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #8
jce

Chris , I stand corrected ....
I believe Gardz(or similar) to be the only exception to using oil primer though.
jce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Well, the two newbie's are just wrong. I do this for a living and know a little bit about stripping wall paper and preparing the walls for paint.

I have been wrong in the past of course BUT the post i replied to, I AM NOT wrong about....one can use ANY high quality ACRYLIC Resurfacing primer, but to ensure one has removed all wallpaper paste(especially heavier vinyls), apply DIF or plain water mixed with 20% vinegar and FEEL the surface....if it is SLIMY or slick, paste is present. Depending upon your application, if one doesnt remove ALL glue/adhesives, a skim coating after priming with WHICHEVER product one desires, is necessary to achieve an absolutely smooth and restored substrate. Feel free to contact this "newbie" 24 years in the biz has its advantages
Old 04-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willwham1 View Post

I have been wrong in the past of course BUT the post i replied to, I AM NOT wrong about....one can use ANY high quality ACRYLIC Resurfacing primer, but to ensure one has removed all wallpaper paste(especially heavier vinyls), apply DIF or plain water mixed with 20% vinegar and FEEL the surface....if it is SLIMY or slick, paste is present. Depending upon your application, if one doesnt remove ALL glue/adhesives, a skim coating after priming with WHICHEVER product one desires, is necessary to achieve an absolutely smooth and restored substrate. Feel free to contact this "newbie" 24 years in the biz has its advantages
I would not ague any of that,I was arguing you're quote to the post, which led me to believe that you also thought that oil primer was the ONLY product to use.I would also take exception ,just a little, as to the point of removing absolutely ALL of the paste.Sometimes this just is not possible, it certainly is advisable to remove all that is possible, but even when you think you have got it all, you most likely did not, hence the need for Gardz OR an oil primer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jce

I agree 1000% You're response
Old 04-04-2010, 07:58 AM   #11

I understand what you are saying, however, in my 24 years exp. i have NEVER encountered a removal job where i didnt need to prime prior to coating unless i was rehanging heavy vinyl papers(54" goods). Also, i never encountered a removal job whwere i didnt need to at least skim coat the walls ONCE to remove the imperfections left behind from the removal process....i am a perfectionist so i do have a perfectionist system and ALWAYS am searching for mor knowledge in our fields!
Old 04-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #12
paper hanger and painter

You get no argument from me