Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2008, 12:02 AM   #1

Share |

How to smooth out serious roller texture?

My house is 35 yers old and the walls have been painted numerous times. The texture from the rollers used is rather pronouced. Especially compared with my recently painted kitchen that was completely skim coated smooth after wallpaper removal. What would be the best and easiest technique to get these painted walls back to a smooth base before repainting them?

beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:41 AM   #2

Couple of options. Easiest is to get a really good professional skim coater to come in and do the entire area. Would give you a good smooth surface again. Or the expensive way would be to hang all new 1/4 sheet rock over the area. Obviously this would entail removing all window/door casing, all trim, extending the door jams to flush out with the thicker walls and so on. I'd go with spending some cash on a pro skim coat.

Skipperjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #3

I would agree...no way I am hanging new sheetrock. The texture is not that bad, it is just noticable. I can live with it so I am not really willing to pay to have it skimmed. I did the kitchen skim coating myself and it came out perfect. It was my first time so it took a little while to get the hang of it. I am not averse to attempting to do it myself first. Any thoughts on the best way to skim coat over an eggshell latex? Recommended mud type? Roll it on vs knife/trowel?
Old 12-29-2008, 10:37 AM   #4

I would try priming the wall then putting a skim coat of drywall compound over the wall using thinned down drywall compound and a 12" trowel.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:01 AM   #5

Does primering first help the mud adhere to the wall? What about rolling on the mud? It looks like it would be easier and faster.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:46 AM   #6

Skimmed a test area without priming. Seemed to work OK. Any potential problems if I do not prime first? I am thinking this process.

1) light sand 100-150 grit
2) prime (maybe)
3) light skim coat (pulled very tight)
4) light sand 200grit
5) prime
6) 2 coats paint.

Still interested in how to roll skim coat. looks like a good wall prep technique to know.

Last edited by beerdog; 12-29-2008 at 11:52 AM. Reason: better clarification
Old 12-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #7

You might try sanding and painting the test area to see if the skim coat of drywall compound maintains good adhesion. If so, then you should be OK without priming first. I'm not seeing the roll on method of the skim coat. I've smoothed out textured surfaces in preparation for wallpaper and a good long trowel has worked well.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:58 PM   #8

2 skim coats in the test area made it perfect. I would probably just use a 10 or 12 inch taping knife since I have both. I have seen videos of pros skim coating with a paint roller. The mud is thinned up to a paint consistency. I think I will start a seperate thread on this topic. I just do not know the exact tools and technique used. I ihave seen posts on spray skim coating.

I did sand up the skim coat area. adhesion seemed Ok.