Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 29

How to smooth off paint edge?

Obviously painters tape is most often used to cover the edge of a wall or trim so that a nice straight line can be achieved, but what if the tape is used on the middle of the wall to create that straight line on the middle of the wall. If several coats of paint are applied then when the tape is removed this leaves a 90 degree edge were the paint met the tape. This is ok for a part of the wall that wont ever be touched but if I was to ever run a moist cloth across the wall to wipe it off it would catch this "edge" and possibly pull or chip some of the paint away. I know this isnt a likely scenario on walls but I just wanted to use it to get an idea for what options are out there for smoothing/rounding off this edge created at the point were the paint meets the edge of the tape.

Last edited by konsole; 10-18-2010 at 06:10 PM.
konsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,058

If there was enough of an edg to catch a rag or something then you have the paint too thick. Two thin coats is always better than one thick one.

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
If there was enough of an edg to catch a rag or something then you have the paint too thick. Two thin coats is always better than one thick one.
True for most applications, but I am applying more then 2 thin coats for my own reasons and will no doubt have an "edge" to deal with. LOL everybody always tries to fix what they think is wrong with what somebody is doing, which is fine, but ultimately they avoid answering the question. I appreciate the advice your giving me but it doesnt apply in my situation.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 77

With tape you're going to have an "edge" or line 90% of the time. I never use tape, something that has worked for me is to mark the line on the wall lightly with a pencil and cut it in free hand. If you're not an experienced painter with a steady hand it may be tough, not much more I can offer.
JMDPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,058

Well what you do on your walls is your business.

You can always try some wet sanding with some 400 or 600 grit sand paper.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:19 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by konsole View Post
True for most applications, but I am applying more then 2 thin coats for my own reasons and will no doubt have an "edge" to deal with. LOL everybody always tries to fix what they think is wrong with what somebody is doing, which is fine, but ultimately they avoid answering the question. I appreciate the advice your giving me but it doesnt apply in my situation.
Remove the tape, wait for the line to set up for a few weeks, then carefully run a sharp razorblade scraper perpendicularly down the line.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows View Post
Remove the tape, wait for the line to set up for a few weeks, then carefully run a sharp razorblade scraper perpendicularly down the line.
ya I figured carefully using a sharp blade is probably the best option, depends on how high the edge is. The other thing I was thinking of doing is using something thats stiff but very thin and angle it at 45 degrees to the edge of the paint and then just apply a good amount of pressure to it. Hopefully that would turn it from 90 deg to 45 deg. This new paint is a matte flat color and it borders a surface that has high gloss to it so using sandpaper or a blade or anything aggressive risks damaging the high gloss surface. I do have some 2000 grit sand sponges which I may try if I decide the thin blade wont work.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:33 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

This happened to me with the custom stripe in the picture. I would just leave it until you re-paint then sand the crap out of it. You might even have to skim coat. I just re-painted the stripe and I had to do this.
dubinpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubinpainting View Post
This happened to me with the custom stripe in the picture. I would just leave it until you re-paint then sand the crap out of it. You might even have to skim coat. I just re-painted the stripe and I had to do this.
which is fine for a surface that doesnt get touched but if I want to wash it then I run the risk of the wash cloth catching the edge. I wonder if there is some kind of crystal clear caulking? Something that stays kinda goopy and dries rock hard but can be easily removed until it dries.