How To Separate Colors On A Wall - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2010, 11:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

How to separate colors on a wall

Hi!

I have yet another painting question. We're going to be painting soon and I'm running into a small problem. We want to paint the hallway, but don't know where to stop or how to. I'm posting two pictures here to better explain things. In this picture...

I'm standing in the foyer looking into the hallway. We would like to paint the hallway a sandy-beige color, but would like to leave the foyer white. We were thinking of taping down the arch in the center of the picture and making a line from the beige to white. We're afraid that it's going to look too funny, so that's why I'm asking here.

Should we paint the foyer the same color as the hallway? The foyer goes all the way up to the 2nd floor ceiling. Do we go all the way up there too? Or, should I attempt to do a 'fade to white' type effect to where the arch goes down.

This picture here shows more of the larger arch going into the living room. I'm standing in the foyer again, but I turned a little more to the left to get a better view of the foyer area.

We're just trying to get some ideas on what we can do and what looks nice.

Thanks!

EDIT: OK, my wife just 'nixed the fading idea. She said it looked to 70's-ish. I guess I agree, but I'm just trying to get some ideas.

Advertisement

Last edited by wiz561; 11-19-2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: wife set me straight.
wiz561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:56 AM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
I'm standing in the foyer looking into the hallway. We would like to paint the hallway a sandy-beige color, but would like to leave the foyer white. We were thinking of taping down the arch in the center of the picture and making a line from the beige to white. We're afraid that it's going to look too funny, so that's why I'm asking here.
with just the two colors meeting, I think it will look odd. If it was me, I would either paint it all one color or take a piece of sheetrock and slap it on the wall to continue the arch line down to the floor. That will give you a breaking point but won't really be obtrusive since it will be only the thickness of the sheetrock. Then all you have to figure out which color you paint the actual archway; white to match the hall or beige to match the foyer.

I wouldn't be thrilled with a fade in the foyer either. Either all the way up or if there is some point where a distinct horizontal line would look good, switch at that point. Again though, you would have the problem of a place where simply 2 colors meet on a wall. If the structure and lighting allows it, it might be worked in but I think a single color would be best.

I'm an electrician so an interior designer may not like my ideas...but then, based on what I see in the commercial world, that isn't such a bad thing.

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:05 AM   #3
handpaintedbysteve.com

Rewards Points: 152

Don't try to fudge it. After you're done it will look as though you tried to fudge it. If you have a common wall with no corner break then pick one color or the other, but it should be continuous.

I noticed from your pictures that your dry wall contractor made a number of repairs to the walls and ceilings and used the old trick of tinting the mud. May I suggest that before you paint anything take some time and reprime your walls and ceilings. That tint in the mud will bleed through your finish coat if you do not prime it again. Just a thought.

Steve
www.handpaintedbysteve.com
spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spraygunn View Post

I noticed from your pictures that your dry wall contractor made a number of repairs to the walls and ceilings and used the old trick of tinting the mud. May I suggest that before you paint anything take some time and reprime your walls and ceilings. That tint in the mud will bleed through your finish coat if you do not prime it again. Just a thought.

Thanks for the tip Steve. Interesting that you noticed that because I just thought that it was normal.

A question....the walls were painted by the builder, the usual 'builder-white' by SW. The walls and ceilings got two coats. I was just going to slap the paint up and not prime the walls. Now you got me thinking....

Being that you noticed this, should I prime or will the two coats of paint from the builder act as a primer?

Thank you very much for noticing this!
Old 11-20-2010, 08:25 AM   #5

Additionally, if I have to prime, is Zinsser 123 an OK product to use with my SW paints, or should I go back to the SW store and buy their primer? I saw in the forums that people thought the 123 was good stuff.

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2010, 08:54 AM   #6
handpaintedbysteve.com

Rewards Points: 152

Hey wiz,

If it were my house I would definitely use the Zinssers 123. As primers go it's a little on the costly side, but it's probably the best vinyl primer I've ever used. Primer is formulated to seal and that's what you need. Just applying two coats of finish isn't the answer, especially in today's market. The products being used today were designed for the contractor not the homeowner. Remember your finish coat will only look as good as your prime coat will allow it to be.

Congratulation on you new home.

Steve

Advertisement

spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fade , paint , stop