Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
hmu

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

How to repaint aluminum siding??

I have read cleaning is A #1 but also read that latex and aluminum dont mix well. Its painted already and not peeling or flaking. Should I be ok with a 100% acrylic over it?? or do i need to prime with oil?

hmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
Painting Company, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmu View Post
I have read cleaning is A #1 but also read that latex and aluminum dont mix well. Its painted already and not peeling or flaking. Should I be ok with a 100% acrylic over it?? or do i need to prime with oil?
Its very important to clean aluminum siding thorough before painting. Aluminum siding breaks down over time, it oxidizes leaving a white, powdery chalk substance behind. This chalk needs to be removed. I prefer using tsp, a nylon deck brush and low pressure to clean.
It is not necessary to prime aluminum unless there are bare spots of aluminum. You will want to prime with a quality bonding primer that is water bourne.
You can paint aluminum with any quality 100% acrylic water bourne paint. I would use a water bourne paint, as aluminum expands and contracts with the change in temperature. A quality water bourne paint has properties to contract and expand too. An oil base paint will not contract and expand as easily and eventually leads to the paint becoming brittle and cracking.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-03-2012), ltd (02-03-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #3

I have painted aluminum siding for over 30 years.............I exclusively use SW's SuperPaint Satin..........it will last for years and years. I have several houses in my area that I keep an eye on that I painted. Two of them are going on 12 years and haven't peeled at all. As Housepaintingny stated & as you yourself said, cleaning it is A#1. Fading is the only issue & that's to be expected.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-04-2012), housepaintingny (02-03-2012), ltd (02-03-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
Painting Company, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
I have painted aluminum siding for over 30 years.............I exclusively use SW's SuperPaint Satin..........it will last for years and years. I have several houses in my area that I keep an eye on that I painted. Two of them are going on 12 years and haven't peeled at all. As Housepaintingny stated & as you yourself said, cleaning it is A#1. Fading is the only issue & that's to be expected.
We prefer using SW Superpaint, satin too on aluminum siding.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-04-2012), Gymschu (02-03-2012), ltd (02-03-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Yes, cleaning it is key. Either pressure wash it or scrub it to remove the oxidation.
I would paint the aluminum siding with Sherwin Williams Super Paint or their DTM (Direct To Metal) product. Even though the DTM product says direct to metal, it will be fine as well. It will be a bit more costly but well worth it.
BraniksPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BraniksPainting For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-04-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Hey HMU...

You've gotten some good advice here already so I'm not gonna add any confusion to the mix on how to prep and finish, but if you've still got concerns about latex and aluminum not mixing well, I can set your mind at ease...

That used to be a truer statement than it is today - Not so many years ago, exterior latex paints contained heavy metals, such as mercury, as a means to lessen the possibility of algae and mildew growth on the paint film. It was the presence of these metals that caused problems with latex and aluminum without an oil based primer as a "sandwich" coat. These dissimilar metals (aluminum and mercury) formed an amalgam that had no adhesive qualities at all...so, the paint film would often times fail.

Those heavy metals are no longer used in paints due to their harmful effects on people and the environment, PLUS the resins used today are so much more naturally algae and mildew resistant, there really wouldn't be much purpose for 'em anymore anyway.

So, fret no more, you're safe - and thus ends your paint trivia lesson for the day. Just follow these experienced professional's advice and the directions on the back of whatever can of paint you're using, and you'll be fine.

Last edited by ric knows paint; 02-03-2012 at 06:00 PM.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ric knows paint For This Useful Post:
BraniksPainting (02-03-2012), jsheridan (02-03-2012)
Old 02-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #7

We have a LOT of alluminum siding houses around here. Everyone I have ever worked for used EmulsaBond which is designed to make paint stick to chalky surfaces.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
We have a LOT of alluminum siding houses around here. Everyone I have ever worked for used EmulsaBond which is designed to make paint stick to chalky surfaces.
Ok...just for the sake of argument and discussion, I have a question for y'all...

Let's say an inexperienced homeowner has asked your opinion on how to paint exterior aluminum siding - it's chalky, faded and in need of repainting. He's gonna do the work himself and wants it to last many years but needs advice on the best way to prep and paint....

Do you recommend this guy use EB in the acrylic house paint he just bought from his local paint dealer, knowing by doing so he will have voided the manufacturer's warranty on the product (as it relates to performance and longevity)? (I'm asking this of anybody, not just matt'70)
Old 02-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric knows paint View Post
Ok...just for the sake of argument and discussion, I have a question for y'all...

Let's say an inexperienced homeowner has asked your opinion on how to paint exterior aluminum siding - it's chalky, faded and in need of repainting. He's gonna do the work himself and wants it to last many years but needs advice on the best way to prep and paint....

Do you recommend this guy use EB in the acrylic house paint he just bought from his local paint dealer, knowing by doing so he will have voided the manufacturer's warranty on the product (as it relates to performance and longevity)? (I'm asking this of anybody, not just matt'70)
Depends. Firstly, I didn't know that using EB would void a warranty. Does it and why is that?
Secondly, I don't put a lot of faith in paint warranties, especially on performance and longevity. Unless the paint is failing within the first month, your chance of having a valid warranty claim are slim.
Since that surface you suggest can be prepped successfully, if I believed the ho had the patience and dedication to do so, I wouldn't even bring it up, especially if the paint he bought has good grab. If he asked, I would address the issue honestly and allow him, with perfect info, to make the choice himself.
If I thought the ho would only give the prep a half-hearted attempt, I would suggest it and not tell him about the voided warranty. If he doesn't care to do the prep properly, a warranty killer itself, is he concerned about voiding the warranty, or more concerned with something that will aid his cutting a corner?
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
mustangmike3789 (02-04-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #10
hmu

Thanks everyone....I will be super attentive when cleaning. Gonna use a power washer and will spot scrub when needed. over half the house has edible gardens surrounding it so I dont want to use TSP for cleaning. Was thinking vinegar? possibly a non toxic dish soap? Borax? any thoughts?
hmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks everyone....I will be super attentive when cleaning. Gonna use a power washer and will spot scrub when needed. over half the house has edible gardens surrounding it so I dont want to use TSP for cleaning. Was thinking vinegar? possibly a non toxic dish soap? Borax? any thoughts?
Hmu, you really won't need any cleaner at all. Water from the pw will get 90% or more of the dirt/chalkiness off the surface. Everyone would love to get 100%, but that usually doesn't happen. For stubborn spots, some warm water and a sponge with an attached scotch brite is all you need.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
hmu (02-05-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Depends. Firstly, I didn't know that using EB would void a warranty. Does it and why is that?
Secondly, I don't put a lot of faith in paint warranties, especially on performance and longevity. Unless the paint is failing within the first month, your chance of having a valid warranty claim are slim.
Since that surface you suggest can be prepped successfully, if I believed the ho had the patience and dedication to do so, I wouldn't even bring it up, especially if the paint he bought has good grab. If he asked, I would address the issue honestly and allow him, with perfect info, to make the choice himself.
If I thought the ho would only give the prep a half-hearted attempt, I would suggest it and not tell him about the voided warranty. If he doesn't care to do the prep properly, a warranty killer itself, is he concerned about voiding the warranty, or more concerned with something that will aid his cutting a corner?
Thanks, Joe...Although I'd hoped to hear from others on this topic as well, yours may have been the perfect answer - especially the part about "...not putting a lot of faith in paint warranties..." Manufacturers will void their warranty anytime the end-user alters the chemistry of their product - regardless of whatever impact, positive or negative, the alteration may bear.

In my travels, I talk to a lot of people who've made system recommendations that haven't always worked out so well. When trying to establish the definitive, or probable, cause of a problem, I can never exclude what was actually recommended to a person at the point of sale. Often times, these comments, or recommendations, expose the manufacturer to a liability they never intended to take on (especially if that person making the recommendation is/was an empolyee of the manufacturer at the time). But over the past couple years, I've noticed an increase in recommendations regarding stir-in bonding primers, flow extenders (sometimes necessary, in part, due to the reformulation for compliancy), insecticides, mildewcides, etc. that sometimes just ain't the best thing to recommend.

To say these products work isn't necessarily a complete statement...they may actually do so but at the expense of film longevity. So, I guess, I'm curious why these products are being recommended when the manufacturer recommends otherwise? ...and who should be the responsible party if failure does occur? Should the mfr. of these additives also share in the responsibility if failure occurs?

Having asked those questions, and made those statements, I'm not necessarily against using products like EB, Floetrol, M1, BugZap and the like. Rarely - and I mean RARELY, are these (or the paint for that matter) the actual cause of a failed paint system - These products do often times work, and they do sometimes serve a purpose but I also think they're often times over-recommended - especially when, as you indicated, they do so as a means to ignore necessary surface prep.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric knows paint View Post

Seeing as how both Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore around here recommend it, it can't possible void the warranty. For all we know they may say you needed to use emulsabond to be covered under the warranty.

And as long as we are splitting hairs, Sherwin Williams warranty is easier to quote.

As per the terms:
Quote:
Owner or owners contractor shall obtain written specifications and instructions from SW prior to the application of the Paint and the contractor shall apply paint in accordance with such specifications and instructions.
As per the surface preperations for alluminum:
Quote:
Remove all oil, grease, dirt, oxide and other foreign material by cleaning per SSPC-SP1, Solvent Cleaning.
If you are not using solvent cleaning, then you already voided the warranty. If you are, then you need to follow the instructions here as per SSPC-SP1 - http://www.scribd.com/doc/51910322/Sspc-sp1
Old 02-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
Seeing as how both Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore around here recommend it, it can't possible void the warranty. For all we know they may say you needed to use emulsabond to be covered under the warranty.

And as long as we are splitting hairs, Sherwin Williams warranty is easier to quote.

As per the terms:

As per the surface preperations for alluminum:

If you are not using solvent cleaning, then you already voided the warranty. If you are, then you need to follow the instructions here as per SSPC-SP1 - http://www.scribd.com/doc/51910322/Sspc-sp1
But that's my point...it does void the warranty - and the fact that an SW employee or a BM dealer makes the recommendation doesn't necessarily obligate either manufacturer to honor their warranty if the job goes south.

Look at the Tech Data Sheets from any manufacturer - SW, PPG, BenMoore, Valspar...whoever. It will NEVER mention, or recommend, the use of any type of performance enhancing additive - certainly not one of a different manufacturer. Then look at an actual copy of a legal warranty of product - Not only will it not mention or depend on a foreign additive, it will state something to the effect of "any alteration of product will render warranty null and void..." Unfortunately, if the time ever comes to defend your actions, or release you of any liability in a law suit, the only document that's gonna matter is the Tech Data Sheets from the manufacturer...and, please, trust me on this one, I've seen more than one contractor thrown under the bus by a manufacturer, in a liability suit, even when the contractor was following a recommendation from his supplier's representative.

Again, I'm not saying it's wrong to use products like EB - it's a great product and it has it's place in the market. But to kinda paraphrase a physics term - "For every advantage, there's an equal and opposite dis-advantage"

I know the surface prep guidelines for re-painting aluminum siding, but I also know that every manufacturer (not necessarily their field reps) will insist on more thorough surface prep and forbid stir in bonding primers. After all, if you clean to SSPC-SP1, why then would you need a bonding additive? Wouldn't that suggest that that your product-of-choice is possibly resin-starved and unable to adhere on it's own to a properly prepared surface?

Once again, I feel a need to remind everyone that I'm not attacking anyone's method of doing business. In my end of the business, I see things from a different perspective than the contractor will (and vice-versa) - I believe discussion between the two perspectives can be extremely beneficial.

Last edited by ric knows paint; 02-05-2012 at 03:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ric knows paint For This Useful Post:
jschaben (02-05-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #15

But it does not void the warranty and there is no documentation that says so. It boils down to this. Warranty only covers paint, which is typicly 10-15% of the cost of a job at best. Emulsabond is added security. Would you rather be more concerned with the 15% cost of a job that rarely ever gets called into play, or the 85%.