Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2010, 05:48 PM   #1

Share |

How to remove wallpaper?

I just bought a house that has lots and lots of old peeling wallpaper. I have managed to peel most of it off. A few walls have wallpaper that won't peel off because only the top layer of the wallpaper comes off, leaving the wall sticky. Any ideas on how to remove the wallpaper? Also, if I may ask another question. My husband and I have no idea how to coordinate colors. We are buying new tile and carpet and painting. Any suggestions on where to look for ideas. We want pretty neutral colors, yet not too boring. Also, our home is pretty small, so we thought light colors would be best. Any ideas? Thank you so much.

catlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
DIY'er

How to remove wallpaper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlam View Post
I just bought a house that has lots and lots of old peeling wallpaper. I have managed to peel most of it off. A few walls have wallpaper that won't peel off because only the top layer of the wallpaper comes off, leaving the wall sticky. Any ideas on how to remove the wallpaper? Also, if I may ask another question. My husband and I have no idea how to coordinate colors. We are buying new tile and carpet and painting. Any suggestions on where to look for ideas. We want pretty neutral colors, yet not too boring. Also, our home is pretty small, so we thought light colors would be best. Any ideas? Thank you so much.
Get a Zinsser Paper Tiger scoring tool. Also get their spray bottle of paste remover. Concentrated simple green works fairly well also. The main thing is to get it wet. The paper tiger is a real help as it makes many small holes for the water / remover to penetrate. It is still a lot of effort to get off some old papers. You can use hot water and a sponge to help get the glue off, again simple green in the water seems to help here. When dry you may have to give it a light sanding. Sealing it up with a coat of Zinsser Guardz is not a bad idea.

Colors - Don't go too dark. Reds are popular, but can look too dark unless a room is very well light. Don't be afraid to try some brighter fun colors.

Get quality paint. Use Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore. Use Benjamin Moore Aura line for hard to paint colors. Use a good purdy brush, wet it and wipe dry BEFORE you dip it in the paint. Use white dove, ez-care, or equivlent roller covers, around $4 each retail.
Get a cloth drop cloth not plastic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need Help Uploading Photos?
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:04 AM   #3

How to remove wallpaper?

This is all you need to know on how to remove wall paper: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiIYH4cMkN4
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
Painting Company, NY

How to remove wallpaper?

Score the wallpaper with a tiger shark, use a solution such as safe and simple which can be ordered on line, that's what we prefer to use. Follow the instructions, after removal wipe down walls with tsp or similar, apply an interior oil base primer, make any drywall repairs, prime any repairs you have made, then top coat with two coats of paint

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote