DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

How to remove paint from steel surface

8K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  chrisn 
#1 ·
I need to completely remove acrylic latex exterior paint from a steel surface and was wondering what the easiest method is. The paint was applied a long time ago so its long past dried and it probably has somewhere between 3 and 5 coats of the same paint on it.

Is there a chemical out there that will simply break the bond between the paint and the metal surface making it very easy to scrape off, or would I have to go with something that will just soften the paint with some moderate scraping afterwards?

#2 ·
Hey Konsole,

This is a pretty common question with a simple solution.
Paint strippers, these are chemical products that will come in a number of strengths and consistencies all designed to do just that. Dependent upon the shape and location of the steel object you are trying to remove the paint from a gel or paste maybe the best route. If there are multiple layers of paint which you know there to be a more powerful (which will be indicated on the can) stripper should be used. Make sure to keep it off of anything you don’t want it damaging and to wear the suggested safety equipment, it can be some nasty stuff.

Brush the product on the surface you need stripped, using a natural bristle brush and allow the product to set in. You will most likely notice the paint literally wrinkling up and pulling away from the substrate. Then all you’ll need is a chemical resistant scrapper which will take the paint right off. A few other helpful tools dependent upon how stubborn the old paint is would be some wire brushes and steel wool. Well good luck with your project and this should make your life much easier.
Jeff

#3 ·
I went to the home improvement store and picked up some paint stripper for metal surfaces. I already stripped the paint and have since sanded with 100 grit and applied 2 coats of metal primer. It's very interesting to watch the paint just crumple up and peel off, takes away so much time spent scraping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.