Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #1

Share |

How to reach 14' ceilings

My wife and I are buying a home that has a 12' ceiling in the living room, 10' in the master bedroom, and 14' in the dining room. We will definitely need to do some cosmetic work like spackling nail holes. And that color in the dining room will have to go!

I can paint almost anything that doesn't move while I'm painting it! But other than using a typical extension ladder and moving it every few feet, how do I reach the tops of 14' walls?

Is there a cost effective way for a homeowner to rent a scaffold unit that I could set up indoors? I've never looked for one at Home Depot or Lowe's etc. Where would I look to try renting one, in general? I don't need to scaffold a skyscraper! Just one room at a time would be fine!

What else besides scaffolding should I consider?

tomseeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #2

a couple 2x6's between ladder rungs works as a quick scaffold as long as you arent heavy enough to break them (i'd be scared personally.) you can also buy scaffold planking and span between two ladders as well.

cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
DIY staff

Folding ladders come in 8--10--12---14 foot tall. A 10 footer might be in your future.
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

http://www.scaffoldmart.com/scaffold...r-package.html

for a 14 foot wall, you are going to want your feet to be at least 8' off the ground. The 10' step ladder would do exactly that.

and just a note: planking used for scaffolding must be rated as such. I know, everybody just grabs any old 2X and uses that but there is a reason for using rated lumber.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

I'd go with 5'x5' scaffold frames with quality planks and casters. Any sort of ladder will require moving often, though that seems to be the method used by most painters. Home Depot or any equipment rental has them Two sets with a couple of aluminum planks and 8" locking casters will easily do 14'. Try Craigslist for a couple of used sets and re-sell when you're done or just keep them around. They're great for exterior work if you get a set of levelers. I've got 4 sets with planks, casters and levelers that take care of just about any situation I encounter.....
Old 03-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
Tired, Cold, and Damp

I don't think a scaffolding will be any quicker in any decent sized room
(unless you got something unusual going on)
There's not a paint crew I've ever been on (including "just me") that wouldn't use 10 ft. steps to cut, and extension poles to roll
If it was quicker, they/we would be all over it

You're still going to have to move the scaffolding, yes a few less times, but moving it takes a lot longer (as does setting it up and breaking it down), and you only use it for cutting in
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:35 PM   #7

why not get a little giant ladder? They are very easy to use - very sturdy - and they come in VERY handy around the house. I use mine on stairs, as an extension ladder, painting high ceilings - everywhere!

mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote