Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #1

Share |

how to patch small drywall holes

Whats the best way to cover up these small holes. There used to be a pole for drapes here.

valpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by valpd View Post
Whats the best way to cover up these small holes. There used to be a pole for drapes here.

Looks easy huh, it's really not and what makes it so is the texture. First you need to sand the whole area until it's about a foot all the way around. By sanding I mean the texture gone. Then go to the big box store and buy a 4"x4" drywall patch. It is a small thin piece of alum. with mesh over it. Stick it over the hole then with drywall joint compound put on 2 coats feathering out a little farther with each one. You will need 2 drywall knifes for this a 6" and a 10". Be sure to let them dry between coats. Then sand the area smooth as you can being careful not to sand clear down so the mesh shows. Then you need a can of spray texture, looks like orange peel, get the one with the adjustable nozzle. Then practice on something till you get the same or close to the same texture. Then spray the whole area you had sanded in a circular motion out a little past the sanded edge. When that dries and you are happy with the match prime the area with Zinzer 123 primer then paint.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Jmayspaint (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post

Looks easy huh, it's really not and what makes it so is the texture. First you need to sand the whole area until it's about a foot all the way around. By sanding I mean the texture gone. Then go to the big box store and buy a 4"x4" drywall patch. It is a small thin piece of alum. with mesh over it. Stick it over the hole then with drywall joint compound put on 2 coats feathering out a little farther with each one. You will need 2 drywall knifes for this a 6" and a 10". Be sure to let them dry between coats. Then sand the area smooth as you can being careful not to sand clear down so the mesh shows. Then you need a can of spray texture, looks like orange peel, get the one with the adjustable nozzle. Then practice on something till you get the same or close to the same texture. Then spray the whole area you had sanded in a circular motion out a little past the sanded edge. When that dries and you are happy with the match prime the area with Zinzer 123 primer then paint.
What about patching it with epoxy putty that is paintable.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:12 AM   #4

Do you mean the stuff that comes in a tube then you cut off a piece and work them together. If so they dry very hard and are hard to sand. To just fill in holes and sand will really be noticeable that is why you have to sand out so far then blend in, again that is the texture. If it weren't for the texture I would say hit the holes a whack (technical term) with a drywall hammer, fill, sand , prime and paint. The reason I say a drywall hammer is because the head is convex and it would leave a dimple to fill. If you just fill it would leave a high spot. Those patches from HD are really easy and are DIY friendly, but they need a flat surface won't stick well to texture. The most common mistake DIYers make in a patch like this is since it's not a large repair they try to keep it to a very small area then with the build up of the repair and texture in that one spot the repair becomes more noticeable rather than less.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Do you mean the stuff that comes in a tube then you cut off a piece and work them together. If so they dry very hard and are hard to sand. To just fill in holes and sand will really be noticeable that is why you have to sand out so far then blend in, again that is the texture. If it weren't for the texture I would say hit the holes a whack (technical term) with a drywall hammer, fill, sand , prime and paint. The reason I say a drywall hammer is because the head is convex and it would leave a dimple to fill. If you just fill it would leave a high spot. Those patches from HD are really easy and are DIY friendly, but they need a flat surface won't stick well to texture. The most common mistake DIYers make in a patch like this is since it's not a large repair they try to keep it to a very small area then with the build up of the repair and texture in that one spot the repair becomes more noticeable rather than less.
What's the best way to bring a paint sample of the drywall to be paint matched?
Old 07-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #6

Quote:
You are recommending a 4x4 drywall patch for screw holes?

Sigh......
Old 07-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #7

I cut a piece of drywall slightly larger than the area needing repair. Then trace around the new piece and cut out the old. Cut a piece of lath or other thin wood slightly longer than the hole. Slip the wood in, screw through the drywall into the wood. Add the patch piece and screw it into the wood. Mix up some mud, tape the joints, and try to replicate the texture. Sometimes I'll use the edge of a sponge or a piece of crinkled paper..whatever it takes. Feather the mud out and blend it in to the existing texture.
Prime, paint and get paid! Then go work on my lousy golf game :-/
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #8

I would sand it a little, fill it in with joint compound and let dry.Sand any rough off and fill in the holes again as the jc will sink in.Once the holes are filled and dry put on a little compound to cover the small smooth area and while wet use the tip of a dry paint brush to get the texture to match as closely as possble.Let dry,prime and paint.
gregzoll (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Another vote for sand the area to get rid of any loose material, then use a wide blade drywall knife to put down the first coat, sand, then repeat for the second coat, then prime & paint. As for that Sand finish, you would have to find a local paint shop that could put in the right sized grain of cleaned sand in the pint sized or quart sized container, that matches your existing paint color.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Looks easy huh, it's really not and what makes it so is the texture. First you need to sand the whole area until it's about a foot all the way around. By sanding I mean the texture gone. Then go to the big box store and buy a 4"x4" drywall patch. It is a small thin piece of alum. with mesh over it. Stick it over the hole then with drywall joint compound put on 2 coats feathering out a little farther with each one.
You sure do things the hard way. No need for a 1 foot area sanded, nor a need for the 4x4 patch. This job is so simple, most of us can do it in our sleep and with minimum effort and materials.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #11

That looks like a light orange peel texture to me.

The problem with repairing a smaller spot like that and keeping it small on orange peel is that its hard to blend the texture and not have it just look like a blob of texture that doesn't match very well
I'm mean, if you don't mind it showing some, a just want to get rid of the holes, jut do a localized fill and blend it the best you can.

The way Tool Seeker described is how I would probably do it if attempting a near perfect blend.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (07-06-2013)
Old 07-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #12
Painting Contractor CT

Sand first, then apply drywall compound.
Good Luck!
KD PAINTING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
You are recommending a 4x4 drywall patch for screw holes?

Sigh......
Yea a 4"x4" patch to fix what looks to be 2" damaged area overkill huh?
Old 07-08-2013, 08:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Yea a 4"x4" patch to fix what looks to be 2" damaged area overkill huh?
Just a little bit.