Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #1

Share |

How to paint a rough cedar birdhouse

My DW and I just bought a large new bird house that will be mounted on an 8 foot 4x4. We want to paint or stain it red and white so it looks like a barn. Any suggestions on what to use? Also, we want to keep the roof the cedar color, but want to seal it so that the color lasts. What kind of finish should we use? Polyurethane?

Thanks for the suggestions

Ranger1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #2

Never never use poly, far better to stain it, not paint it for less mainitaince later.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:03 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Never never use poly, far better to stain it, not paint it for less mainitaince later.

Is there such a thing as red and white stain? I don't know. As to the poly, no way
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #4

Woodscapes from Sherwin-WIlliams will give you the color you want. It's a solid color stain you can buy in lots of colors. As for the roof, I would use Flood's clear wood sealer with Cedar Toners in it. That will give good protection for the roof and give you the near natural cedar color you are after.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You need such a small amount of paint or stain unless this birdhouse is for a flock of pelicans, vultures or something. One advantage to painting it is you can get paint in quarts or even pints. I am not sure solid color stains like Woodscapes come in small containers? No problem getting it in red and white though. I guess I have never needed such a small amount of an exterior stain product.

If you paint, you should seal/prime the siding with something like Benjamin Moore Fresh Start and I would use the oil-based alkyd although the water based will work too. Or you could mix 1:1 processed (not raw) linseed oil and mineral spirits, paint thinner, or similar solvent and seal the roof and siding all at once. This mix will not have the UV protection of the Flood product and may darken the wood slightly though.

For such a small project, once the solvent evaporates, you could then use small bottles hobby or art store acrylics (Liquitex was my go to brand in art school) over the primed surface. Of course a tiny container in an art store may cost what a gallon of Woodscapes does. I haven't bought art supplies in awhile.

You could even mask things off and use rattle cans of Krylon or something. Just apply several thin coats over the sealer/primer.

Last edited by user1007; 07-17-2012 at 09:40 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #6

Anyone else wondering about this "all of a sudden" interest in coating newly painted exterior surfaces with polyurethane? I swear this is about the 4th or 5th post about doing this that I have seen in the last month.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Anyone else wondering about this "all of a sudden" interest in coating newly painted exterior surfaces with polyurethane? I swear this is about the 4th or 5th post about doing this that I have seen in the last month.
I was wondering the same thing. Did one of the half-baked home improvement shows with researchers and producers that know zilch about the trades run something recently? Has the former Miss Canada stopped moving furniture and painting indoors in high heels and designer fashion and turned to digging post holes and applying poly outdoors in flip flops and a bikini?

Last edited by user1007; 07-17-2012 at 10:03 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (07-18-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 03:50 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Did one of the half-baked home improvement shows with researchers and producers that know zilch about the trades run something recently? Has the former Miss Canada stopped moving furniture and painting indoors in high heels and designer fashion and turned to digging post holes and applying poly outdoors in flip flops and a bikini?

I might want to see that
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #9

My question was not based on any TV show. Poly is the sealer I am most familiar with, so that is why I asked the question. I appreciate all of the helpful replies.

Ranger1227 is offline   Reply With Quote