How To Paint Over Old Parquet Floors - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 256
Question

how to paint over old parquet floors

Hi, I have several small rooms with 30 year old parquet floors. 1/3 to 1/2 of the floor areas are so worn that the bear wood is showing.

I want to keep the work to the min.

My plan was: to prime the floors with Zinsser BIN. then paint cark or black floor paint / garage paint. And maybe put polyurethane clear finishing.

My question is:
1. of course sending is the best way to ensure bonding. Is Zinsser BIN good enough of a bond for the old floor, considering 1/3 to 1/2 of the floor is already without finishing with the wear?

2. After priming, what is a more durable paint for the indoor rooms? Garage paint? Porch floor paint? Any specific brand?

3. Is it worthwile to add a clear coat of polyurethane after the garage/floor paint to add to the appeal and durability?

Thanks ahead!

Advertisement

hohadcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

Refinishing the parquet isn't an option? Why? It would actually add value to the home to do that, and it's not much more work than all of the work to paint.

Advertisement

Live_Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live_Oak View Post
Refinishing the parquet isn't an option? Why? It would actually add value to the home to do that, and it's not much more work than all of the work to paint.
I did refinish some other old wooden floor that was not as bad as this one. The sanding and refinishing was just too much ... You really think the painting is as bad than the dust and all that from sanding and refinishing?

Thanks

Last edited by hohadcr; 09-17-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,612

Painting is a very bad idea....besides looking like painted floors, it will not last.

The cost of materials between paint and stain is about the same....

About the only difference in labor is the sanding...you go down and rent a sander with a square sanding pad...takes about half a day...yea, it's messy...that is what a shop vac is for.

The new poly coats are really tough. I did one of the kids rooms about 11 years ago...no signs of wear in the high traffic area (door). The only mistake I made was not being as clean as I should have been...I have a couple of spots with dirt stuck the floor...but you have to look hard to find it.

And if you got the idea to paint off one of those home improvement shows.....stop watching them...they never show the result after a year of use.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
joecaption (09-17-2013)
Old 09-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Don't do it.I would put vinyl over it if I couldn't refinish it right now.Carpet anything but paint.
Attached Images

ddawg16 (09-17-2013), Jmayspaint (09-17-2013), joecaption (09-17-2013), ToolSeeker (09-17-2013)
Old 09-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,214

Besides BIn in not made to be walked on, as are most primers
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,180

Also--you can bet that somebody--sometime in the past,waxed them--so sanding would be needed to ensure a bond---if you are willing to sand,there are some floor paints that might work.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 534

No way would I ever want a painted floor!!!
Going to be nothing but a mantaince issue from then on.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,622

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Also--you can bet that somebody--sometime in the past,waxed them--so sanding would be needed to ensure a bond---if you are willing to sand,there are some floor paints that might work.
WAX' WAX you say and more wax ???
Our daughter pulled the carpet in her pre-owned house to replace and found old Parquet. Then it was determined to save it. Our son inlaw was looking for a reason for a new drum sander and was all pumped. He pulled about 900 tiles and we went to work having Parquet Party s. I avoided the removal and install party s but boy did I ever enjoy that drum sander. WAX you said. The wife and daughter got real proficient with a random orbit sander, scrapers and block sanders removing wax from joint edges. SIL inspected EVERY piece for WAX residue, rejected a few for a second or third re-run and we were all very pleased with the labor intensive results.

An idea for the OP. Some sheet vinyls are made today that resemble tile so close it's difficult to distinguish from a distance and this may be one of your best options for a DIY project that's not too labor intensive.
Attached Thumbnails
how to paint over old parquet floors-floor-parquet-lll-4-20-09-.jpg   how to paint over old parquet floors-floor-tiles-ll-sanded-3-16-09.jpg   how to paint over old parquet floors-floor-parquet-4-20-09.jpg  

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 09-17-2013 at 08:39 PM.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-17-2013), oh'mike (09-17-2013), ToolSeeker (09-18-2013)
Old 09-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #10

[QUOTE=Fairview;1243031QUOTE]

Your floor was beautiful.

When we refinished our wooden floor, our varnish got dust stuck in it. The surface is and will always be very scratchy....

How did you kill all the dust?
Old 09-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,622

[QUOTE=hohadcr;1243073]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview;1243031QUOTE

Your floor was beautiful.

When we refinished our wooden floor, our varnish got dust stuck in it. The surface is and will always be very scratchy....

How did you kill all the dust?
The day before each coat of finish is applied all activity in the house ceases so the dust settles. The finisher tack cloths the floor, applies finish working back to an entrance and leaves the premises.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #12
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,612

[QUOTE=Fairview;1243207]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohadcr View Post
The day before each coat of finish is applied all activity in the house ceases so the dust settles. The finisher tack cloths the floor, applies finish working back to an entrance and leaves the premises.
And THAT^^^ was the mistake I made.....I didn't follow up with a tack cloth....I took for grated how clean I as being....you don't leave windows open....

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote