Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2009, 01:15 PM   #1

Share |

How to paint an old clapboard house exterior

I am especially interested in the prep work. My mother always said a paint job is only as good as the prep work. I want to help my son paint his old 1920's clapboard but it is in very bad shape. The paint is thick and dull and starting to bubble. I think they may have used latex over oil without much prep and maybe without primer!

Would anyone tell me exactly how to do the prep work, step by step? We have lots of laborers in our area and the house is only about 1500 sq. ft. I thought I might hire a couple of men and supervise the prep but I have to know what to do as I can't count on them knowing....Should they scrape the bubbling paint off and then use a sanding block (what grit?) or hold paper in hand? See, I do need details. From there, I think I would brush the primer on and then do two coats of color, first rolling and then back brushing (because I don't want the learning curve issue).

I have really enjoyed reading your posts here. You are all very generous with good advice. Please help this 63 year old mom help her son with his first house. Thanks.

Gaviotagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

How to paint an old clapboard house exterior

You absolutely do not want "laborers" doing this project
There is most likely lead paint involved
Using anything but a certified company would be illegal
If caught, you (well, your son) would be responsible for not only haz-mat clean-up of the site, but of the neighbor's as well

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote