How To Paint Garage Door - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
dIYHell

Rewards Points: 150

how to paint garage door

Someone gave me a 5 panel wood garage door thats in good condition that only probelm its the wrong color. Not sure of what type of paint it does look like a semi gloss.

What would be the best method and paint to use, I would be using a darker shade?

one crazy thought is to strip it entirely and give it a cedar color (stain) my house was just remodeled with Cedar siding and accents so a stained garage door would look awesme , but I don't have any money to buy a cedar door (did I say I just did a remodel)

Advertisement

rocketdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
NAV

Rewards Points: 75

how to paint garage door

is the door a solid wood door? a lot of times if the door is not stain grade you will run into problems when you strip it and try to stain it. it will have different grains and wood colors that will make the door look goofy if you hit it with a semi-transparent stain. it would suck to do all that work and have it look like crap.

I would recommend that if you do not know what is on there to follow these painting instructions:
  1. skuff sand to ensure adhesion. if it is peeling anywhere you should feather out the paint
  2. full prime with an exterior primer. I think that Sherwin-Williams A-100 acrylic exterior primer will work fine.
  3. Caulk the panels as needed to fill all gaps
  4. paint with two coats of Sherwin-Williams A-100 satin or exterior SuperPaint satin. if you are not an experianced painter the satin sheen will help to hide imperfections in the paint. Semi-gloss or gloss show everything
remember when painting anything, interior or exterior, you want the substrate to be clean, dull & dry.

Advertisement

NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
dIYHell

how to paint garage door

Wow good information thanks, I am debating about keeping my metal door instead which has paint removed from masking tape used to hold material to protect door (go figure). Should I strip the paint off entire door and use similliar paints as described above?
Old 09-15-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
NAV

Rewards Points: 75

how to paint garage door

I would not strip the entire door. that is overkill but a way to ensure that your new material will not fail. up to you, i would just pressure wash and paint to the same specifications as the wood door.
NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
dIYHell

how to paint garage door

some long strips of paint peeled off with masking tape, can I sand and feather that where I won't see it with new paint and primer, or should I spackle that someway
Old 09-16-2009, 05:38 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,242

how to paint garage door

sand and feather, no spackle

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote