Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2010, 11:07 AM   #1

Share |
Question

How to paint this floor??

Hi,
I had to remove carpet from my sunroom (previous owner had 2 cats, my worst allergy), and as you can see, the wood is pretty damaged: it looks like there's water damage, cat stains, who knows.

Photos: http://bit.ly/ayPGEC

My floor guy suggested we sand and then stain a dark ebony/coffee...he feels this will look good, hide any remaining stains, and the stain itself will kill any cat smell. However, I'm actually considering painting the floor a light color (i.e., off-white, kind of shabby chic or cottage style) and wanted to ask how best to do this. (FWIW, here's a pic showing what I'm thinking: http://bit.ly/d5rBeu)

Since there's likely cat evil in the wood, should I start with something like KILZ or B-I-N? If so, my concern is I may end up with so many coats of paint and you won't even be able to tell it's wood under there. If I do 2 coats of that, I'm guessing I'll need 2 coats of the actual color, then possibly 2 coats of clear to protect?? Or, can you just add color to KILZ and just cover that directly with clear??

I'm entirely new to this so any ideas would really be appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited by RinSF; 05-30-2010 at 12:27 PM.
RinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #2

May be a dumb guestion, but can you smell the cat urine? That looks like the after effects of multiple carpet cleanings.

boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #3

I think it's still getting my allergies a bit, but it's hard to say; I haven't been spending much time in there as the floor's torn up.

That's interesting to hear the stains might be from carpet cleaning...certainly better than these being the result of water possibly leaking in when it rains. The one mystery I haven't figured out is if you look at the full-room photo, that there's almost a line going across the room dividing golden wood which is still in good shape, and dark/stained wood...not sure what caused this. I thought it might be direct sun damaging the wood, but I really don't know.
RinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #4

Hard to say. It does look like excess water damage to me. I was assuming from ho carpet cleaning. Maybe the pets had favorite places to do their business and those places got more or wetter cleanings.

Maybe someone with more experience in floors will come along and suggest a fix. Sanding will not get those stains out. There may be a way to bleach, ph balance and then stain.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:19 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Sand it down, clean, one coat of BIN( not Kilz), 2 coats BM porch and floor enamal, done. You will stll know it is wood.
Attached Images

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:12 AM   #6

Quote:
that there's almost a line going across the room dividing golden wood which is still in good shape, and dark/stained wood...not sure what caused this. I thought it might be direct sun damaging the wood, but I really don't know.
Maybe a bed or something that id not get moved when the carpet was cleaned?

Chris, any concerns about offgassing with the porch paint? Not that I have never used exterior paint for an interior application.

Okay one time in a small bthrm. It was on hand and the color wanted. I never changed it.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
Military Mom of 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinSF View Post
Hi,
I had to remove carpet from my sunroom (previous owner had 2 cats, my worst allergy), and as you can see, the wood is pretty damaged: it looks like there's water damage, cat stains, who knows.

Photos: http://bit.ly/ayPGEC

My floor guy suggested we sand and then stain a dark ebony/coffee...he feels this will look good, hide any remaining stains, and the stain itself will kill any cat smell. However, I'm actually considering painting the floor a light color (i.e., off-white, kind of shabby chic or cottage style) and wanted to ask how best to do this. (FWIW, here's a pic showing what I'm thinking: http://bit.ly/d5rBeu)

Since there's likely cat evil in the wood, should I start with something like KILZ or B-I-N? If so, my concern is I may end up with so many coats of paint and you won't even be able to tell it's wood under there. If I do 2 coats of that, I'm guessing I'll need 2 coats of the actual color, then possibly 2 coats of clear to protect?? Or, can you just add color to KILZ and just cover that directly with clear??

I'm entirely new to this so any ideas would really be appreciated.
Thanks
Consider a pickle-stain that bleaches out the color of the wood and then seal?
Old 05-31-2010, 05:20 PM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman47k View Post
Maybe a bed or something that id not get moved when the carpet was cleaned?

Chris, any concerns about offgassing with the porch paint? Not that I have never used exterior paint for an interior application.

Okay one time in a small bthrm. It was on hand and the color wanted. I never changed it.

It is an interior/exterior paint

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote