Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #1

Share |

How to paint elevators

Hello,

We have an office building with 3 floors and are looking to repaint our elevator. We've tried calling painting companies for quotes but they are either not interested in taking a "small job" or we were quoted over $3000. We are trying to see if we can take on this project ourselves but need a little help.

Currently, our elevator doors are painted inside and out and throughout the years the paint has chipped and have been scratched.

What kind of paint should we use? What is the process of this project? Any suggestions or advice is very helpful and welcomed!

Thank you!
DIYdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

How to paint elevators

No different than painting anything else, we need much more information in order to help. First off ,what is the paint now, oil or latex?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
ltd (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #3

How to paint elevators

Hold the brush steady, push the button. Move the brush two inches to the left, hold steady, push the button, repeat to the end. Ha Ha, Had to do that. I sometimes have nothing better to contribute.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
ltd (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #4

How to paint elevators

We supplied a waterborne, two-componennt polyurethane to some high-rises in downtown San Francisco. This is a tough, abrasion resistant, eco-friendly product that will not lift previous coatings. Look for HP-105 on the following link:
http://www.jfbhartcoatings.com/

Avoid conventional acrylic enamels. They turn to goo from the lanolin in people's hands within weeks. Alkyds, although good, have a residual solvent odor that your patients and other building occupants may find objectionable. Some people don't just object, they swear you are trying to kill them.HP-105 has a low VOC of less than 50 gpl.
This will require normal preparation: cleaning, sanding, etc. It is self-priming on bare metal.
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #5

How to paint elevators

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Hold the brush steady, push the button. Move the brush two inches to the left, hold steady, push the button, repeat to the end. Ha Ha, Had to do that. I sometimes have nothing better to contribute.

I'm a little disappointed in your answer, Joe...it's not typical of you to leave out important details on fine finishing. Obviously for this type of app, the person applying the paint must be aware that he, in order to maintain a proper wet-edge, is gonna have to push the "up", then "down" button - repeatedly - and in rapid succession (and personally, I would've recommended a 2.5" brush).
ric knows paint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ric knows paint For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (06-05-2012), jsheridan (06-05-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

How to paint elevators

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric knows paint View Post
I'm a little disappointed in your answer, Joe...it's not typical of you to leave out important details on fine finishing. Obviously for this type of app, the person applying the paint must be aware that he, in order to maintain a proper wet-edge, is gonna have to push the "up", then "down" button - repeatedly - and in rapid succession (and personally, I would've recommended a 2.5" brush).
I totally agree. And shouldn't the door be sprayed or rolled using the door open/close and up/down buttons rather than brushed on? And what to do about the combination paint voc's and those created by whoever "cut the cheese" inside? Couldn't I just 40 or 60 grit the surface and glue on vinyl film so I never have to paint again?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #7

How to paint elevators

Elevators would require an industrial grade product- as suggested, a urethane (especially for the exterior). This would be the most durable solution.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #8
paper hanger and painter

How to paint elevators

[quote=sdsester;936739]I totally agree. And shouldn't the door be sprayed or rolled using the door open/close and up/down buttons rather than brushed on? And what to do about the combination paint voc's and those created by whoever "cut the cheese" inside? Couldn't I just 40 or 60 grit the surface and glue on vinyl film so I never have to paint again?[/quote]

that will work

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

How to paint elevators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will22 View Post
Elevators would require an industrial grade product- as suggested, a urethane (especially for the exterior). This would be the most durable solution.
They used the same urethane reinforced paint they used on the basement floors in this building. Looks great so far but it has only been about 8 months.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #10

How to paint elevators

Wow, this thread is leaving me with thoughts of Stevie Tyler and an Aerosmith song.........
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #11

How to paint elevators

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post

Tags
diy, diy advice, elevator, paint, repair