Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #1

Share |
Smile

How long can i leave Zinsser 1-2-3 primer on walls?

Hello.. i would like to know how long can primer stay on walls without painting over? Will it affect the results if it's sit for too long?

I primed the walls with the water base primer on sunday but i've been working and havent had a time to paint over until tomorrow thursday, will i have the same results or will it be already too late and the primer is already cured and wont look as well?.

Thanks in advance!
LynniieRockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #2

You will be fine.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
You will be fine.
Thank you by the way, i live in wisconsin so it is cold right now, im painting my bedroom and the temperatures are about during the day 49 or 52 and at night it goes down to 30's is it still ok to paint or will it cause the paint to peel or bubble?

Should i leave the heater on?.

Im using sherwin williams Duration latex paint
LynniieRockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:46 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

As long as the room is above 50 you will be OK and the primer would be good for 30 days if need be. Sooner would be better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (10-19-2011), ltd (10-20-2011)
Old 10-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
jschaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
As long as the room is above 50 you will be OK and the primer would be good for 30 days if need be. Sooner would be better.
Is 30 days a real "drop dead" time for primer? I've got a partially finished project in the shop I primed with seal coat (it's pine) about 3 months ago. Do I need to reprime it?

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
Is 30 days a real "drop dead" time for primer? I've got a partially finished project in the shop I primed with seal coat (it's pine) about 3 months ago. Do I need to reprime it?

Ahhh, tough one. I would guess if it has been protected from the weather you would be OK, but, hey, I just don't know Maybe Mr. Joe will poke his ugly maw in here and let us know.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
jschaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Ahhh, tough one. I would guess if it has been protected from the weather you would be OK, but, hey, I just don't know Maybe Mr. Joe will poke his ugly maw in here and let us know.

Just been stacked on a shelf. Hadn't occurred to me that primer needed to be topcoated within a specific time frame

Old 10-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
Rubbin walls since'79

OK you MR sciences out there- If painting a latex on latex is considered no problem adhesion wise ( unless it's real high sheen and hard) , why would painting over an acrylic primer be any different?

I can see particularly exterior- where the primer wasn't really formulated to withstand the elements for any long period of time, but how about inside?

Sometimes I wish we had a chemist from Zinsser around...

By the way- Used Z's Smart Prime to hold back a nic room today- and I was impressed. Liking that primer.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:56 PM   #9
(the original)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
John, what do you mean by "seal coat"? If you're talking about the Zinsser product by that name it's not primer, it's a light cut of shellac used as a sanding sealer. Recoat time on that is probably about the same as the half life of plutonium. Nothing to worry about.
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:52 PM   #10
jschaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbefishin' View Post
John, what do you mean by "seal coat"? If you're talking about the Zinsser product by that name it's not primer, it's a light cut of shellac used as a sanding sealer. Recoat time on that is probably about the same as the half life of plutonium. Nothing to worry about.
That's the stuff - Thanks

Old 10-21-2011, 04:04 AM   #11
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
OK you MR sciences out there- If painting a latex on latex is considered no problem adhesion wise ( unless it's real high sheen and hard) , why would painting over an acrylic primer be any different?
I already said, I don't know

I can see particularly exterior- where the primer wasn't really formulated to withstand the elements for any long period of time, but how about inside?

Sometimes I wish we had a chemist from Zinsser around...

Yes, that would be nice

By the way- Used Z's Smart Prime to hold back a nic room today- and I was impressed. Liking that primer.
I have not used any yet, I will keep it in mind, thanks

Old 10-21-2011, 06:33 AM   #12

Brush, thanks for the tip on the smart prime. I read the TDS. Looks good. I would suggest that those interested should read the TDS, as it has some finer points about dry times on various substrates,stains. I'm interested in a product that will replace Cover Stain. Not that I don't like it, but it's really, unfortunately, the only thing lately that requires me to carry oil supplies. BTW, my "ugly maw" is as lost as Brushjockey's on that question. There are just some things, some things, where I just believe and do as I'm told, lol. Topcoating over primers within a given time is one of them. For pros though, that's a situation rarely encountered.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
primer