Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2008, 06:20 PM   #1

Share |
Question

How to get wallpaper off?

We have a bedroom with old wallpaper on it. Whats the best method to easily get it off without destroying the sheet rock.

Thanks....
MyFeetReek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

http://www.wallpaperinstaller.com/wa...stripping.html
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:06 AM   #3
Drywall contractor

Check the link above and keep your fingers crossed.....I don't think there IS a best method to EASILY remove wallpaper. Seriously though, it will depend on whether the walls underneath were prepped or not. The few times I've removed wallpaper, they were not. Hope it's not the case for you. Be patient and resolve yourself to the fact you may need to do some drywall repair after it's all sone. Best of luck!
Old 10-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #4
What can I find here?

On one of those home improvement shows on HGTV, I remember a designer saying that in her experience, a combination of water and fabric softener was the most advantageous. Not sure of the mix but perhaps something you can try to find online?

Best of luck.
Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:51 PM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp

The link chrisn supplied is the best, most accurate, way to describe the process
Exactly the way I would have described it

Although I have "heard" through the net about the fabric softener, I've never actually known a real contractor using that method

It might work I suppose, but not often enough to be an SOP for pros

Please keep in mind HGTV is for entertainment and ratings
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:02 PM   #6

Talking

I tried many things. the steamer worked best for me in the kitchen. In the bathrooms, the steam thing didn't work that well, but the paper tiger and the nasty caustic chemical goop worked really well. Not sure why the difference, but both methods were annoying, time consuming, and messy. Wall paper removal is one of those things well worth paying someone else to do in my opinion.

Joe

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 11-09-2008 at 09:19 AM. Reason: SITE RULES VIOLATION: Advertising Links Removed from Signature
AustinREDevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:11 AM   #7
Drywall contractor

Well stated Joe. I've only done wallpaper removal a couple of times for customers and never came out on it. My help made more than I did. (It was for very good/repeat customers though.) I've sworn I won't do it again other than at my own house. I'll leave it to someone who does it for a living.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #8

I have done a few jobs with wallpaper stripping. If the walls are plaster then it is a dream, if they are drywall then it is a real pain in the but and sometimes easier to just rip out the walls. DIF has always worked great and if we run out of it then we used warm water and vinegar.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:44 AM   #9
Drywall contractor

I've tried a couple of different products and one seems about as good as another.....again, it all comes down to how the walls were prepped before the wallpaper went on.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:39 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter

but the paper tiger and the nasty caustic chemical goop worked really well.

I've tried a couple of different products and one seems about as good as another.....again, it all comes down to how the walls were prepped before the wallpaper went on.

As stated,it is all in the matter of initial prep of the walls but for a better removal solution try this product, it is far superior than home made or other caustic chemicals

http://www.safeandsimple.com/
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:41 AM   #11
Drywall contractor

I'm willing to give it a try if I ever have a mental lapse and agree to strip wallpaper again. I've bookmarked the page, 'cause somewhere down the line I'm sure a relative or friend will con me into it........thanks for the tip chrisn.