Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to get the smokey smell out.

My wife and I bought and moved into her grandmothers place. I know for a fact and she does too that her Grandfather and Uncle smoked in the house. The white walls are now a tint of yellow and orange. They have been smoking in the house for about 50 years or more. Is there any hope? Also they smell of dog urine is driving me crazy. We have two dogs but they rarely use the rug. Ive been tearing up the old carpeting and re surfacing the floors which seem to help but the parts we want carpeted are just horrible. We have used a shampooer over this carpet like 50 times ( once a month cause silly me being covered in hydraulic oil and forgetting to take off my boots.) We tried the dog cat smell remover but no help. We want to paint but I want to get the smells out first any thoughts or ideas would be great!

Hawkeye40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Yes, there's hope! You'll need to scrub the walls, primer with a good odor hiding primer and then paint. The carpet is a different problem, cleaning will not get odors completely out of them, especially urine. Replacement is the logical answer.

DM

Old 10-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Here is the thread running around yours about getting rid of the smoker residue and smell. I am not trying to weasel out of a direct answer to your question but the problem is identical and there are many good answers. No reasons to reinvent round wheels?

Best prep/primer for covering smoke smell?

The subject of pet urine smells comes up very often so search for that in the search engine for lots of threads. Most will suggest biting the bullet and getting rid of the effected carpeting AND PADDING. Then I and many others have had the best luck with enzyme treatments. One I have found that works well is "Anti Icky Poo". Your pet store will have things like "Nature's Miracle" but has never done much for my projects but make it smell perfumey over the top of the urine smell.

If you must save the carpeting and padding you can try to save it and eliminate the odors but you must inject the enzymatic fluid to completely saturate under the pad, the pad, and the carpet fibers. If you just pour on the top of the layers you will get nowhere. Those turkey flavor injectors work well for this. Syringes with metal tubes for filling ink cartridges may too but do not hold as much fluid at one time. Anti Icky Poo sells an injector to go with the product.

Last edited by user1007; 10-30-2012 at 10:12 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 650

I used to be an apartment manager and faced the problem of smoking odor. These had concrete floors which we painted with a paint store paint to cover odor. Also used it on walls. Thankfully did not have to touch the ceiling which was popcorn.

Lastly I had to have the AC duct work taken out as it was yellow inside. I thought I could skip this step but the new resident said "strange but when the AC is on she smelled cigarette smoke". New ductwork worked.

It was so bad that brown nicotine was running down the windows.
Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

After many cleanings, BIN shellac-based primer will be good on walls, ceiling and woodwork.

You did not mention what is underneath the carpet system. If it is hardwood, severely stained areas will need the boards replaced - and prime the subfloor before replacing floor parts. It's alot of work, but the end result will be worth it.
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote