Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

How to finish top of shower/tub

It's time to re-paint the small bath. It's also time to learn how to do one particular task properly. I have an fiberglass bodied, acrylic tub/shower unit in a home built in '86. At the top of this unit, where the drywall overlaps the flange of the unit, the joint compound always has "peeled away" from the actual part line. After the joint compound has dried, I've used a good silicone based caulk on this and it comes loose also. I'm sure it's due to moisture and the shower water splashing up on it. IF I remember correctly, three (3) years ago when I did this I went out to find a better joint compound, material for this area. It seems like I bought something at an apron store which was supposed to stand up to this area better, but did not. After finishing, and painting with a high quality SW bathroom paint, it peeled back in a matter of what seems like weeks. Yes, I'm right now going to learn how to post pics so that may help. But in the meantime- any suggestions as to what to use on this area? Thanks, David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:42 AM   #2
Next Time...New Build

Rewards Points: 150

Without a picture I have one question, why was there joint compound where the drywall overlaps the shower stall? Was it in the corner?

RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
Household Handyman

I'll be home today, so I'll work on the picture. The problem is not just in a corner. As stated this is a tub/shower unit, so there are the back, side, and front areas involved. These units have a flange at the top which get nailed to the wall studs, leaving an approximately 3/4" wide flat surface, then the drywall gets installed that covers the flange and almost sits on the flat surface, maybe a 1/4" gap or so. It appears that the area where the drywall and tub/shower unit surface meets had joint compound put there, then smoothed out. Over the years I have lived here this area has consistently cracked and peeled back. Approximately every three years I re-do this area with more compound, then a good (supposedly bath area) primer, then a bath area paint. I have used both Porter Paint and Sherwin-Williams products on this area, it's not the paint's fault. O.K., now I'm going to take pictures. Thanks, David
Old 12-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #4
Household Handyman

Let's see if the photos post:How to finish top of shower/tub-img_0984.jpg

How to finish top of shower/tub-img_0985.jpg

How to finish top of shower/tub-img_0986.jpg A lot to learn here. From top to bottom: side, corner, back wall

Last edited by Thurman; 12-03-2009 at 10:16 AM. Reason: more info
Old 12-03-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Cut out about a 1/4" of the mud work/drywall from the top of the surround. Insert a caulk backer "rod" (you can use oakum if your supplier doesn't carry these ) into the crevice. Fill the tub with water caulk around the surround with rubberized silicone and smooth it out.
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:53 PM   #6
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

Yep the tub is flexing too much for the joint compound to handle. You need to use a silicone caulk or a joint sealant for this.

poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote