Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2008, 01:19 PM   #1

Share |
Thumbs up

How does a person figure a bid for sheetrock finish and painting?

My brother has been doing sheetrock and painting work, mostly residential and bids the jobs by going in and measuring each wall space that he has to do. He has the chance to do 4 commercial jobs, finish the sheetrock and paint, each between 20,000 to 40,000 sq ft but can't figure out if he's supposed to bid on the floor space sq footage or the wall space sq footage. This could be his chance to really get going on his own and he's afraid of not bidding right, but we already know that a bid of 1.00 a sq foot is expected, just not if that means the sq footage of floor space or wall space. I hope this makes sense and someone can help really soon.

michell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by michell View Post
between 20,000 to 40,000 sq ft but can't figure out if he's supposed to bid on the floor space sq footage or the wall space sq footage
http://www.rsmeans.com/
Find a book on the website or in your local Border's or Barnes & Noble, buy the book it or borrow it though interlibrary loan, or just peek in the book at Border's while you drink their coffee and make your notes.
I use Border's as my library until I can get the book from interlibrary loan.

Plus, the women there hit on you!

Mr. Means has already done the heavy lifting, and I think he even breaks the estimates out by zipcodes ['cause I know there is data available linking zipcodes to median or mean incomes. People with deeper pockets get charged more. And they don't seem to mind].

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by michell View Post
My brother has been doing sheetrock and painting work, mostly residential and bids the jobs by going in and measuring each wall space that he has to do. He has the chance to do 4 commercial jobs, finish the sheetrock and paint, each between 20,000 to 40,000 sq ft but can't figure out if he's supposed to bid on the floor space sq footage or the wall space sq footage. This could be his chance to really get going on his own and he's afraid of not bidding right, but we already know that a bid of 1.00 a sq foot is expected, just not if that means the sq footage of floor space or wall space. I hope this makes sense and someone can help really soon.
We always bid on the wall space and the floor (ceiling) space, since that is what we will be hanging, taping, coating, and painting.

This is especially the case, if a contractor is providing the sheetrock, finishing materials and the paint for the project. SF flooring alone, will not give you the totals of your needed wall and ceiling materials.

We review the plans to determine the actual SF of wall space and ceiling space. Walls are based on the wall lengths/wall height - specs that are shown on the plans.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 08-07-2008 at 07:03 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

To get it right, measure ALL ceilings and walls and do NOT take off for openings (doors, windows....). Commercial work is often walls only and grid ceilings. The board will most likely be stood up on metal studs. Charge extra for anything over 9' and especially any walls that go to the deck (FIRE WALLS) and may require scaffolding to hang and finish.
Residential board will be laid down for the most part. If the room has a wall that's 12'-6", figure a 14' board, 11'-3" a 12' foot board, etc. Add extra for vaults, treys, or ceilings over 9' as the hangers and finishers will expect extra. You can "ballpark" a basic house with an 8' ceiling by multiplying the square footage of the house by 3.8, but it won't give you the lengths of board you need. (Multiply by 4 if there is a vaulted ceiling or two.) Again, this is just a rough estimate, but gets pretty close on footage to give someone a quick "guesstimate". Best of luck and welcome to the world of being in business for yourself!