Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3
Share |
Default

How does one paint behind the toilet?


I'm trying to decide whether to save money and paint the house myself or bite the bullet and hire a professional to do it.

One of the deterrents of the former are the bathrooms. There is literally less than half an inch of room between the rear of the toilet and the wall. Definitely not enough room to slide even the skinniest brush down there.

Any suggestions?

HeyItsJoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
Painting Company, NY
 
housepaintingny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 975
Blog Entries: 14
Default

How does one paint behind the toilet?


Use a mini roller to go behind the toilet, take the lid off of the tank and with a quality brush you can usually get the bristles behind the tank a little ways to cut around the tank

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:06 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 279
Default

How does one paint behind the toilet?


I just did this.. I removed the tank, it took just a few minutes..

you can still your the toilet it just takes a little work.. you can take the filler hose and just stick it in the input on the lower portion of the toilet and turn the water on, it worked for me

the toilet was a small problem the larger problem was painting around the water heater
cbzdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,689
Default

How does one paint behind the toilet?


Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyItsJoel View Post
I'm trying to decide whether to save money and paint the house myself or bite the bullet and hire a professional to do it.

One of the deterrents of the former are the bathrooms. There is literally less than half an inch of room between the rear of the toilet and the wall. Definitely not enough room to slide even the skinniest brush down there.

Any suggestions?
Just don't paint it, who's going to be looking back there?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:06 PM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp
 
slickshift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 3,089
Default

How does one paint behind the toilet?


You could move the tank/toilet, but in my area that can only be done by DIYers or licensed plumbers
There are some regions where a DIYer doesn't even have that option
As that option isn't really available to many (comfort-wise or license-wise) I'd recommend a mini-roller (or "whiz", "weenie" or "hot dog" roller)


(images courtesy Wooster Brush Company)
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #6
Tired, Cold, and Damp
 
slickshift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 3,089
Default

How does one paint behind the toilet?


Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn
Just don't paint it, who's going to be looking back there?
...and yeah, one only has to go "far enough" in this situation
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: long beach, ca
Posts: 46
Default

How does one paint behind the toilet?


I used a flat pad which I took off the holder. a little extra paint on it and I didn't have to press it to the wall. Use gloves, it gets messy.
gail
gailquilter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 395
Default

How does one paint behind the toilet?


Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
There are some regions where a DIYer doesn't even have that option
wow - that seems a bit heavy handed - not being able to fix your own crapper?

i understand this is one area where you really don't want to get in over your head (figuratively speaking) - but my throne, in my castle, is, well, kinda personal...

i gotta get a life
rtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:31 PM   #9
Tired, Cold, and Damp
 
slickshift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 3,089
Default

How does one paint behind the toilet?


Quote:
Originally Posted by rtoni
wow - that seems a bit heavy handed - not being able to fix your own crapper?
I suppose in those counties I DIYer would have to wait until that guy in the uniform with the badge that says "Pluming Compliance Inpector" that's hiding behind the shower curtain takes a break before moving the tank

...errrrr..of course, that will probably be his "bathroom break" so I'm not sure that will work out

I'd also bet the hardware store just over the border in the next county does a healthy wax ring and tank float business...much, much, higher than the actual number of toilets in their county would normally lend itself to
lol
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:36 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 395
Default

How does one paint behind the toilet?


Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
I suppose in those counties I DIYer would have to wait until that guy in the uniform with the badge that says "Pluming Compliance Inpector" that's hiding behind the shower curtain takes a break before moving the tank

...errrrr..of course, that will probably be his "bathroom break" so I'm not sure that will work out

I'd also bet the hardware store just over the border in the next county does a healthy wax ring and tank float business...much, much, higher than the actual number of toilets in their county would normally lend itself to
lol


just picturing an old '40 Ford loaded down with spare toilet parts and blowing by the county line like a moonshiner...

rtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ceiling paint versus wall paint billyg Painting 6 02-09-2012 07:38 PM
1st Steps in Painting? Qckrun Painting 7 12-15-2009 12:25 PM
Joint compound to smooth old paint layers. gmhut Painting 1 05-03-2009 05:50 PM
Flashing NoExperience Painting 13 09-04-2008 05:56 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.