HOW DO YOU MAKE PERFECT Horizontal Lines???? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

HOW DO YOU MAKE PERFECT Horizontal lines????

Hey guys i just bought a home and i want to make my man cave. I found this picture and i want to paint the room like this. How do i make perfect Horizontal lines like this in the picture..any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

THANKS

Advertisement

bucsfan941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Same way you get to Carnigie hall....
practice practice practice!!

lol- sorry , couldn't help it ( even if its true)

Heres another link to another DIY site that some here still hang out at , but this thread has what you need to know..

http://www.painterforum.com/yabbse/index.php/topic,1873.0.html

Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #3

I just had to make some vertical lines, only about 5 ft high, and snapped a chalk line to mark where the tape should go. I wasn't sure the chalk would work so well with the tape or paint, but I did press down the tape edge with a putty knife, and after taping I wiped away the chalk on the side to be painted. I painted very carefully next to the tape, not just glopping over the tape, and I had *no* bleed-through. Maybe this has more to do with it being a vertical line, maybe horizontal would be more of a problem due to gravity.
jfklein13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #4

The photo shows those are cinder block walls, so it was easier to just follow the block lines already there. I think it would be a huge pain to make so many horizontal lines with taping.
jfklein13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #5

1: Two coats of red paint!
2: Decide where you want the gray paint to start. Using a measuring tape create equal widths between where you want the gray to start and the floor, and where the gray starts and the ceiling and mark with a pencil. Use a level and draw a couple straight lines between the points you marked. Tape on the inside of the lines you drew. Use a credit card or just firmly press the tap in place.
3. Paint just slightly over the tape with the mini roller making sure the roller isn't fully loaded. Paint the gray with a mini roller not worrying about how close to the ceiling or floor you get.
4. Repeat steps 2-3 with the other colors ending with the black, and removing the tape after every color.
5. Using a brush with a very light amount of paint, go back along the lines you made and fix any bleeds that may have occurred. Don't try to cut in, just fix the little bleeds
6. This is a long process.... sucks to be you lool, will look sick though!
geordievb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Just remember you may have to adjust the width of the stripes as you progress to compensate for the walls being out of square. If you start level in the middle and measure equal spacing without compensating you are probably going to find the stripes near the ceiling or baseboard look crooked. Same thing may happen if you measure equal distance from the floor or ceiling as the odds of one being parallel to each other are slim. If you spread the difference over all your stripes it will look better visually even if your stripes are not "perfect" from a level or measurement standpoint.

Sadly it is often most noticeable with new construction. I guess guys don't use squares and levels any more.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #7

Okay thanks alot i appreciate all of the help

Advertisement

bucsfan941 is offline   Reply With Quote