Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

How Do I Stain This Porch?

I have a back porch with a roof, so it's open on three sides. The floorboards and stair treads toward the ends are looking pretty weathered and I'm guessing that the horizontal surfaces should be coated with something. I don't know what kind of wood this is or what was used to stain/paint it previously. It does look like the vertical surfaces were stained much more recently. I don't really care about matching the color exactly. I mainly want to protect the wood.

How do I prep this -- some threads here say use a power washer; occasionally someone says NEVER use a power washer, use a sander instead -- and what kind of product should I put on the wood? I use SW paint on the interior, is there an SW stain that is good quality?

The close-in photos were taken today, after Irene passed through. I would like to get this done in the next few days, weather permitting, since all the porch furniture is in the garage. I would prefer avoiding using a floor sander or other heavy equipment if possible.
Attached Thumbnails
How Do I Stain This Porch?-porch-1-before.jpg   How Do I Stain This Porch?-porch-001.jpg   How Do I Stain This Porch?-porch-002.jpg   How Do I Stain This Porch?-porch-003.jpg   How Do I Stain This Porch?-porch-004.jpg  

How Do I Stain This Porch?-porch-007.jpg  

Amycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
Stairguy

Rewards Points: 500

if they porch is relatively clean, just apply the stain. Get a oil based stain. They will penetrate better than the latex.

Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:44 AM   #3

I assume that I need to clean the wood somehow to at least get rid of dust and dirt.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Amy- get a wood brightener- many brands - pretty much the same stuff.
Wet the deck, get a big old roller and apply the brightener ( mix by directions)
Use a stiff deck brush on a handle and work it. Then with a powerful garden hose, or a pressure washer with a large fan and not too much pressure ( you don't want to dig into the wood) , wash that off.
Let dry a couple of days and use a good quality deck sealer, don't use paint or even a solid body. you want what you use to penetrate, not sit on the surface.
Then it will wear off, not chip.
To maintain a deck nice, this would be done every 2-3 years.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #5

Here is what I did:

- Initially tried a pole sander. Mostly useless -- sandpaper kept getting shredded on splinters, and boards are not completely flat

- Neighbor's mouse sander worked really well taking off dark spots of old stain that still remained on wood; it also made a greater contrast in the grain.

- Used stiff push broom and diluted Simple Green deck & siding cleaner to scrub. Rinsed with garden hose with nozzle on the most powerful setting.

- Applied Sherwin Williams oil-based toner with a chip brush. Did three boards at a time, then went back to do a second coat. Edges and stairs more exposed to the sun and weather got a third coat.

If I do this again, I might try a deck stripper and/or a brightener, but I'm very pleased with the results. The SW toner ("redwood") matched the existing color quite well, especially the underside of the roof (which was in much better condition than the porch itself, and which I did not bother to stain).
Attached Thumbnails
How Do I Stain This Porch?-porch-new-001.jpg   How Do I Stain This Porch?-porch-new-003.jpg  
Old 09-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Nice job Amycat
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 516

The deck looks good. Next time when the stain starts to wear clean with a sodium percarbonate based product, use low pressure washer pressure, let dry and then apply a coat of the same stain that you just used. Its the initial restoration that's time consuming. Cleaning the deck at least twice a year will help to maintain the finish.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck paint, porch, stains