Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #1

Share |

how do I prep deck for painting

The deck is 2 months old, has seen mainly sunny days (direct sunlight for 5 hours on average), about 7 days of rain and has some water stains (see attached photos). How do I prep this deck so I can paint it?
Attached Thumbnails
how do I prep deck for painting-20130818_105258.jpg   how do I prep deck for painting-20130818_105307.jpg   how do I prep deck for painting-20130818_105315.jpg  

anuvanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #2

Are you sure you want paint rather than stain?

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #3

Well, if we stain it then I imagine it'll require maintenance every year. If we paint with deck paint or the Rustoleum Restore paint then they'll be less maintenance required. Is this correct or am I way off?
Old 08-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuvanoob
Well, if we stain it then I imagine it'll require maintenance every year. If we paint with deck paint or the Rustoleum Restore paint then they'll be less maintenance required. Is this correct or am I way off?
With the sun exposure evident from the pic, I don't think porch and floor paint or something like that is going to hold up very well for you.
Anything that leaves a film on the surface is going to be subject to peeling. And when that starts, the maintaince nightmare beings.

Is that pressure treated wood? Hard to tell for sure from the pic. If it is, it probably needs to age some more before a finish of ant kind is applied.

I would do an oxalic acid wash to remove those water stains and any mill glaze that might be present. Then do a quick sand with an orbital to knock off the top layer of UV damaged wood fibers. Then you could put whatever you want on it. But I really don't think any kind of 'deck paint' is a good idea if the goal is easy maintaince.

Consider a penetrating stain/sealer or a toner.
I have been getting 3 years out of Olympic max toner on decks prepped in the manner described.
And maintaince coating is not difficult. Usually a light wash is all that's necessary the first time or two.

With the Restore type stuff, nobody really knows yet if these products will love up to the lifespans they claim.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuvanoob View Post
If you paint it or put a solid stain on this deck it will be more of a maintenance issue than just using a semi-transparent stain or a semi-solid stain. Stain penetrates the surface whereas anything solid tends to lay on the surface. Foot traffic and the weather cause the paint/solid stain to peel prematurely on a horizontal surface.

Now, having said all of that, you may have to use a SOLID stain on that deck because those water stains may telegraph through a semi-transparent stain. I have used Woodscapes from Sherwin Williams on decks and have been able to coax 4 years out of the longevity before a recoat.

No matter what you use, decks have maintenance issues. Laying like they do in the sun, rain, wind, snow and people & pets waliking on them, well, they are the most abused part of any house.

One thing I would be concerned with is those water stains. Is water laying there and STAYING there? If so, there may be a construction issue with this deck.

Last edited by Gymschu; 08-18-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #6

There are a couple threads running on here now about Restore I suggest you look them over.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
Painting Company, NY

You will want to clean the deck using a sodium percarbonate based deck cleaning product, using a nylon scrub brush and low pressure of about 500 psi. A quality percarbonate deck cleaner will remove the contaminants, including any mold, mildew, mill glazing and it will also remove dead wood fibers and also open the wood pours to accept stain. Ecc-38 is a great cleaner. You should not have any furling using low pressure. If furling does occur from low pressure it usually will disappear in a week or two, but can be taken care of using a bronze scrub pad. After cleaning the deck well follow up using an oxalic, citric or combination of both acids, this will help brighten the wood and also remove any rust stains if there are any from any nails or screws. I prefer using Citralic as its a blend of citric and oxalic acid. Oxalic acid is a little harsher on wood than citric acid.
If sanding is necessary you would not want to sand until the deck is cleaned properly, otherwise you are just forcing contaminants into the wood surfaces.
You do not want to paint the Deck. You would want to stain, preferably with an oil base if available in your area.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuvanoob View Post
Ignoring Restore for now (as mentioned there are a couple other current threads to check that out), there is a basic difference between what is called "penetrating" coatings and "film forming" coatings. Both will require maintenance sooner or later. The maintenance on a penetrating coating is far easier. I personally would always recommend an oil based semi-transparent stain over a solid "stain" or paint or even latex stain. With oil based stain you basically just clean it up and go over it again in a couple years (no flaking). With film forming products, you must first scrape off all flaking areas and figure out which other areas need care first before thinking of recoating.

I haven't heard anything yet about longer term maintenance of Restore.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
One thing I would be concerned with is those water stains. Is water laying there and STAYING there? If so, there may be a construction issue with this deck.
I assumed by looking the water was coming off the roof, probably with some color in it already because of leaves or whatever was on the roof.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:02 AM   #10

The wood is actually cedar, not pressure treated wood. I believe the water stain is an indication of where rain has made contact with the deck (away from house) and where rain has NOT made much contact with the deck (closer to house) - that 12 to 16 inches from the house is always dry during rain fall (because the roof over hangs about that much).

So with that updated information, is oxalic acid, sanding and penetrating stain/sealer still the best route?
Old 08-19-2013, 06:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuvanoob
The wood is actually cedar, not pressure treated wood.

So with that updated information, is oxalic acid, sanding and penetrating stain/sealer still the best route?

I would say yes. The Benjamin Moore brand oxalic acid brightener that I like to use, does also contain citric acid. This type of cleaner (brightener) works particularly well with cedar.

http://m.benjaminmoore.com/paint-med...d-for-staining

The sanding could be minimal. Even just hand sanding really helps open the wood for stain.

I have read a lot lately about sodium pre carbonate cleaners, and they seem promising.
For me they would replace sodium hypochlorite cleaners (bleach) that I use as a first step on older mildewed decks.
On newer decks, I generally skip the cleaning and just brighten.

Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote